Trademark or Registermark

What is the difference between a Trademark (TM) and a Registermark (R) in the US?

I believe Registermarks cost more.

Trademark is used for products like Windows XP whose trademark belongs to Microsoft

Registermark is mostly used on logos, like Microsoft is a registermark for Microsoft

thanks, Yaser.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

If I'm not mistaken, there are a few different "trademarks":

TM - which applies to names, slogans, etc.
    S - which applies to services
    R - which applies to logos and graphics

Once again, these aren't verified facts. Just the information I gathered from my own observations.

Boris
    - AdWatcher - From the founders of HostVoice, comes the first ad management and tracking service created with web hosts in mind. Track Google AdWords, Overture, hosting directories, local advertising, etc. Compatible with ModernBill, WHM AutoPilot, ClientExec, PayPal, 2CO and others.
    - Pay Per Click Marketing Book - Don't spend another dollar on PPC ads before you read this book.

Info.

Hi, you might want to try US Patent and Trademark office for answers to your questions. We could all try to explain the differences but best to get it from the source. I can't post links yet, so I'll try to place it here as text. www . uspto . gov Hope this helps.

David

(TM) - Trademark and (SM) Service Mark are both unregistered with the USPTO. If you are applying for a trademark, you can add the tm. Most times people just add it anyway, like their (C) copyright notice. But they never register them. Once your trademark or service mark is approved, you can change the tm/sm into an (R), meaning you have been approved and were given your Reg. Number that anyone can search for at the USPTO. Simple (TM/SM) do not have this. Should you have to fight for your mark, being registered almost assures a victory. Although I have seen (R) trademarks lose.

PS - This was written in basic terms.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

So I can TM my web hosting name and it wouldn't cost me anything?

webhost933, TM doesn't do anything for you. It simply shows others that you applied for the process of registering a trademark - however, you have no legal ownership rights over it if you simply put up the TM sign.

Boris
    - AdWatcher - From the founders of HostVoice, comes the first ad management and tracking service created with web hosts in mind. Track Google AdWords, Overture, hosting directories, local advertising, etc. Compatible with ModernBill, WHM AutoPilot, ClientExec, PayPal, 2CO and others.
    - Pay Per Click Marketing Book - Don't spend another dollar on PPC ads before you read this book.

It's usually best to get it registered before you put the (TM), (SM), or (R) marks. Your works are automatically copyrighted due to US copyright law but unregistered works won't hold up in court.
    e-Tech-Solution.com: Shared Windows 2003 Hosting and Cross-platform Web Development

Okay, thanks.

Originally posted by TechSolution
    It's usually best to get it registered before you put the (TM), (SM), or (R) marks. Your works are automatically copyrighted due to US copyright law but unregistered works won't hold up in court.
    This is false. Any time you claim rights in a mark, you may use the "TM" (trademark) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim, regardless of whether you have filed an application with the USPTO. However, you may use the federal registration symbol "®" only after the USPTO actually registers a mark, and not while an application is pending. Also, you may use the registration symbol with the mark only on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the federal trademark registration.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com