Recommend Digital Cameras?

I am looking into buying a digital camera even though I know nothing about them. That's why I'm posting here for help and recommendations. I would like a digital camera somewhere in the range of $300 USD or so, with good quality.

I also was wondering if I buy a digital camera can I also record videos on it as well? Because that would be cool, heh.

Anyway, I really have to go and I sound like such a newbie because I know nothing about digital cameras but hey, some people here must know! Alright thanks!

EDIT: I'm leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks so I will check this topic later. Thanks a bunch!
    WO Hostings - Great Hosting @ Affordable Prices.
    WO Forums - Where the people meet.

Nikon CoolPix are nice, simple to use and take decent pictures considering they're not SLR.

I've had a nikon coolpix 990 for 4 years, and its been pretty good. I'm actually about to buy a new camera. I'm thinking about the Olympus C-8080 which also allows unlimited video/audio fit for the TV (unlimited = how much storage you have on your memory card). Most camera's only allow about 30 seconds, so this is pretty cool. But, its about 3 times as expensive as what you're thinking of spending.

I'll add to the recommendation for the Nikon CoolPix series. Very nice, and well built.

Don't even consider a samsung...

I've got one which is 1.5 times heavier than other models, 2 times the time to start up and take 3 times the more time to take a shot.

Wonder how I got talked into buying it...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Kodaks are good. I got one not too long ago and it has been working great (so far).

You could start off with some research at a site like Dpreview. That should give you a good idea of the models in the price range and also a side by side comparison between different brands.

If you are looking at something handy and small, consider one that takes the SD cards, since prices for these have crashed. Higher capacity cards offer 10Mbps thruput, so should easily be able to record video. You could check out the Panasonic FX5 ( the one with image stabilization). There are plenty of models from Minolta, Casio etc. that'll easily fit in your shirt pocket.

If you like long zooms, Canon and Panasonic offer those with image stabilization that'll allow you to take zoom shots without a tripod. Olympus and Minolta offer those too, but not with stabilization.

i've seen some new cameras from panasonic that is shake-prove

i'm thinking to get one since i want to take pictures on the move
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

For a point and shoot camera (although these are coming with a lot of manual functionality lately)... I'd go with a Canon.

My friends recently went through the same question recently and they bought a Canon S400 and a Canon A80. They are happy with their cameras.

A fea years back, I invested in a Canon S110 and still happily use it today.

I have a newer Kodak and if I had it to do over it would be between the Canon S500 or the Sony DSC.

I would buy a Canon a80 if I were in the US. Be careful as usually the camera is one expense; In most cases you have to also get a bigger memory than the one in the package, a case, rechargeable batteries (its not worth to use alkalines), recharger etc.

only bit of advice i would give is make sure you get one with a fast shutter speed i bought one from argos 3.2mega pixels all the guff you get but the shutter speed is slow as buggery you could make a cup of tea and read the paper while waiting for it to do its thing...

Coolpix cameras are great and I just purchased one myself

Canon A series cameras (A60, A70, & A80) are excellent cameras as well I've got an A60 and love it.
    [COLOR=dark-blue]Matt Carpenter[/COLOR]
    Offer your clients a brandable FTP upload utility

Originally posted by acts837
    Sony DSC.
    I have a Sony DSC-P51 (for advanced features) and a DSC-U30 (for fun photos etc). Both of them are fantastic and give great quality photos, they startup almost instantly and memory sticks have dropped in price a lot recently (bought an original sony 128MB stick for £28 last week).

I have a gateway one very good. I think for $300 you can get a 5.1 pixel.
    www.joebobgames.com Joebob games - Flash games! Come join the fun!

I love my Canon S410 but it costs over $300. YOu can read about digital camera reviews in this imaging resource
    Protagonist WebHosting Services
    Blog Hosting solutions:: Cpanel with Rvskin & Fantastico Deluxe
    Providing Reliable Hosting since 2002