30 Gb Hard Drive
    DVD Rom & CD ReWriter Drive
    12.1" TFT Screen
    32Mb Ati Mobility Radeon 9200 Graphics
    Mac OS X v10.3
    2 x USB connections
    1 x Firewire Socket
    1 Year FREE Warranty

Seen the above for sale in a local pc store on special offer. Thinking about going for it. Would it be fast enough for general use eg. photoshop, dreamweaver, word processing, watching movies, email, surfing the net etc.

1,145.11 USD for those on the other side of ye pond

I work with somebody that owns a laptop with very similar specs. I used his machine for 6 hours with no performance issues. It seems to run great for general use, but I don't know how a machine with only 256 megs RAM would handle Photoshop. On both PC and Mac Photoshop is a bit of a beast. Mac OSX 10.3 is fantasic from the limited use I have of it.

I used photoshop on a p133mhz with 32mb of ram. It worked rather well to tell the truth, i basically used it for learning.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

anjam: From what I read, Mac's cache EVERYTHING they can in the RAM. This is great for speed, but I've heard that 768MB is good if you want lots of leway.

Earth, North America, USA, Kansas, Shawnee Mission, 7617 Rosewood
    800MHZ in mac is different then AMD and Intel Speeds. I don't know how fast it would be with windows but it's good.

Thats the thing need to find out how fast it is approx compared to others.

The fastest G4 laptops are like 1.3GHz these days, and the slowest are 900mhz I believe, so it's almost bottom of the line or something :p

I have a G4 desktop 733mhz and it's quiet spunky. Used to be a bit slow, but a RAM upgrade to a gig from 256mb and a new vid card really spruced it up.

I wouldn't bother with laptops. Are you really going to use in bed that much?

But if you really want one, thats not a bad deal. But I'd upgrade the RAM.

Or you could juts save and get a top of the line one?

So where can i get ram and what should i beef it up to?

I believe on the Mac site you can buy it as an accessory.

Definitely more ram. I have double the ram and Photoshop gives me "ram" problems once in awhile.

Okay well seriously thinking of getting the ibook and more ram in the near future if i get it.

I use a 1Ghz/12"/Rev.B/768mb/GeforceFX5200 Powerbook G4 and it runs photoshop great.

It will be more than enough for what you need, and a good price too. I'd say it's about the same as a P4 1.7Ghz for photoshop work - more than enough, as I say. The main reason you'd want an apple notebook, however is that the quality is second to none and you get to use the best consumer grade OS in the world.

You can buy RAM from any major supplier - you want a DDR SO-DIMM. Best place to go is crucial.com and use their selector. I recommend crucial ram, although very slightly more expensive it's the best quality you can get - bad quality ram causes crashes.
    Gone.

I have a 667Mhz Titanium PowerBook that I've had for about two years and my girlfriend bought the iBook model that you are considering back in January. She has the stock 256MB of RAM and I have 768MB (albeit SDRAM) myself. I would consider both machines to be about equal in performance and both are quite snappy at all of the tasks I throw at them. I would definitely grab 512 or 640MB of RAM yourself if you will be using PhotoShop or more than about 5-8 applications at once. I tend to leave 15-20 apps open on my PowerBook without issue and go weeks between reboots (putting the machine to sleep instead). Less RAM would make this a bit of a chore.

I could recommend no better machine for you to purchase though... Apples are fantastic.

From a price perspective, I'm not sure of the conversion value of the price you quote, but when my girlfriend got hers, it was $1099 new and she got a refurb for $999. You can get them slightly cheaper now that a 1Ghz 12" model is out.

Good luck!

I have a 12.1" 867 Powerbook with 384MB, Combo Drive and all the other bells and whistles ... I'd be willing to part with it for $950.00 w/ shipping ... Let me know if your interested.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Having given it considerable thought i am happy to say i have placed an order for a similar ibook to the one i posted and it should be arriving tommorow at some point. Just wondering what the maximum ram intake these babies can take?

Hmm, max RAM.

Each apple portable has one internal DIMM (most soldered onto the motherboard). There is also a SODIMM slot with which you can put a 1gb stick i believe (in the powerbooks anyway). It may be 512mb for the iBooks. Use the crucial.com memory selector to pick.
    Gone.

Oks thanks a lot and just got confirmation that its arriving here today! YAY!

19. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com