I am trying to figure out the function of the many e-mail-related directories in a cpanel account and what will happen if I delete them.

Apart from the mail direcory there are first a series of .neomail-accountname directories. Will removing them just remove user's neomail settings and stored messages? Will they be created anew if users attempt to use neomail again?

Then thers is the mail directory, which contains files named inbox, inbox.sent and so on. This directory also contain directories with the names of e-mail accounts, of the domain name and of subdomains. All of these contain at least a inbox file of their own, and some contian also other files, such as inbox.pop and others.

Lastly, under the subdirectory whose name is my domain name, there are again directories with the names of all existing e-mail accounts, which contain those inbox and other files.

Why are there so many such files? Which of them belong to what application (horde, neomail...)? Which (if any) contain actual incoming e-mail or the accounts' settings? which can be delted? which must stay?

I would appreciate explanations.