Computer troubles... Mainly firefox

I love Firefox, and I like my computer that is only 4 months old. Well, tonight Firefox crashed twice. The first time I had it under control and was able to restart Firefox without rebooting. Just now, I have had to reboot. When it freezes, CPU usage jumps up to 90-100%.

System Specs:
    2.6GHz Celeron (yes, it's cheap)
    256MB RAM
    Windows XP Home

Using Firefox 0.9.

Is anyone else having this problem, or can help me? It really made me angry.. a while ago, it might have been a few days ago, Firefox crashed and lost all my preferences. Fortunately I was able to find them in my user directory (C:\Documents and Settings\-username-) and restore my bookmarks manually.
    He arose!

Some searching shows if you have SP2 for XP, its causing some issues.

Also, check out their forums

Also, make sure you have all the current updates/patches for XP.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Try firefox 0.9.1

Uninstall, delete your profile ( C:\Documents ans Settings\YouyrName\Phoenix ) and reinstall FireFox 0.9.1 . I had exactly the same problem when I upgraded my 0.8 to 0.9 .
    Alex-Info.net

I've heard a number of reliability problems with Firefox 0.9. Apparently 0.9.1 is better.

Just use Mozilla You don't have to install all the other stuff that comes with it -- you can choose just to install the browser.

Oh, I need to upgrade to 0.9.1? I'm using 0.9. I didn't know that 0.9.1 is out.. I'll upgrade today.

I have SP1, and all my updates are installed. So I'll try upgrading to 0.9.1 and see what happens.
    He arose!

I had a bunch of issues with the latest version of Firefox. Like alex-info said, did you uninstall 0.8 before you installed 0.9? This causes a lot of problems especially if you have extensions installed. The new version seems even more stable.

Now all I need is a better pagerank extension. =) The following is ok, but I've had some problems with it.

http://www.prgooglebar.org/

Originally posted by alex-info
    Uninstall, delete your profile ( C:\Documents ans Settings\YouyrName\Phoenix ) and reinstall FireFox 0.9.1 . I had exactly the same problem when I upgraded my 0.8 to 0.9 .
    Ouch, deleting your profile is like a last step measure.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

IIRC there is a post on the mozillazine forums about people deleting their profile data to fix something, but someone also posted a way to restore your profile data after (I *think* that's what they were doing, I didn't read it fully because I've never had any problems)

I just upgraded to 0.9.1 this morning and I haven't had any problems.. yet. *knocks on wood*
    He arose!