hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion : PayPal's refusal to issue PayPal Debit Card to non-US customers
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

PayPal's refusal to issue PayPal Debit Card to non-US customers

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 03:28 AM
Disabled

Exclamation

PayPal's refusal to issue PayPal Debit Card to non-US customers

Anyone outside the US tried to obtain a PayPal Debit Card, which is distributed FREE to US PayPal customers? For many non-US users this would be a convenient way to withdraw money from their PayPal account, either through ATM's or POS*. For many PayPal users that would eliminate the hassle and expense of opening a US bank account.

But my various requests by email and phone were declined, because I'm an international customer, and not a US user, which makes me "unfit" to qualify for the card.

Maybe it's now time to start "bombarding" PayPal with applications for their Debit Card by non-US PayPal customers. That will make them aware of the problem, and may speed up internal discussions within PayPal. Demands for PP DC's should also be addressed to PP executive management, to be found here: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...n/team-outside

PayPal discriminates against its international clientele. It's time to unite, stand up and fight back. We, PayPal customers, are the raison d'etre of PayPal's very existence!

E PLURIBUS UNUM !

*POS = Point Of Sale = any place where you use your card for
purchases: stores, internet, etc.

Last edited by paulcoin; 06-26-2004 at 03:32 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2004, 03:41 AM
Disabled

I second your view

Old 06-26-2004, 04:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended

I agree it would be nice. However, Paypal is fundamentally a US company, and the same reason that US banks do not normally open account for foreign residents apply to them as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Disabled

Unhappy Nothing to compare PayPal with US banks

First of all, paulcoin, a good idea.

Then, Lyoung, no comparison can be made with US banks which, at best, are hesitant to open non-US accounts. And the very few that do, impose multiple obstacles and/or restrictions.

PayPal's policy is exactly the opposite: international personal, business and merchant accounts received with open arms, no questions asked. Just sign up, activate your account, and you're up and running. Receive payments, make payments, add funds, withdraw funds (to a bank - if you CAN...), etc.

Don't forget that PayPal is 'de facto' both a virtual credit card clearing house, and a virtual bank. And if you can withdraw money (to a US or non-US bank), then they actually operate outside the scope of all those US laws that make opening an account with a 'real' US bank such a difficult task.

So, forget about any legal comparisons, because there are none, except the fact that both (PayPal and US banks) have accounts where they keep your money, and from which you can withdraw money (if you CAN...).

If PayPal can issue debit cards to US customers, they can do so for non-US clients too. If that is the purpose of this forum, then we should support it.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Been around for too long...

PayPal's debit cards are issued through a third party bank that chooses not to work with international credit & debit card accounts, if I am correct. I believe that they have started testing the debit cards with Canadian customers though. PayPal can't start partnering with banking institutions in every country in order to let you have a debit card - it's not discrimination. Bombarding them with foriegn applications is not going to do anything.

- Matt

Old 06-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended

I'm in Canada and had no problem obtaining a card.

Old 06-26-2004, 12:20 PM
The E-Commerce Answer Guy

It is very important to realize that the reason that merchant processors, 3rd party processors and even various issuers do not service the international market has nothing to do with things like "lack of willingness", "lack of desire" or "discrimination" - and everything to do with legislation and regulation.

For instance, Visa and MasterCard have various territories that they regulate. They have different programs and structures for different markets... and they specifically prohibit a U.S. merchant processor from setting up foreign merchants.

Along a similiar line, the Patriot Act legislature here in the U.S. enacted post 9/11, makes it nearly impossible for a bank to setup a bank account for a non-U.S. individual or business these days.

Credit card issuers, just like their acquiring counterparts, also face similiar restrictions and obstacles. Often times, these obstacles are not easily overcome and sometimes the foreign banks that have domicile over that "territory" don't want to share and thus are disinclined to let anyone else "step on their turf."

This is the reason why you don't see a proliferation of merchant accounts and credit / debit cards being issued to international entities.

Believe me - if we COULD - we'd love to offer merchant accounts to Canada, Europe, Australia, Asia and other areas of the world... but that just isn't feasible at this time due to the above reasons.

I'm sure that PayPal is in a similiar boat but over time, they may overcome some of these obstacles to the benefit of their international clientele.

Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Believe me - if we COULD - we'd love to offer merchant accounts to Canada, Europe, Australia, Asia and other areas of the world... but that just isn't feasible at this time due to the above reasons.
PayPal does offer them to Canada.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Been around for too long...

Quote:
Originally posted by HBN
PayPal does offer them to Canada.
I believe they deal with a different company to offer debit cards in Canada. As I said earlier, they can't start partnering with & integrating their services with banks in each country to offer debit cards to every customer.

- Matt

Old 06-26-2004, 03:27 PM
The E-Commerce Answer Guy

My comment on "we'd love to offer merchant accounts" was actually referring to CDG, not to PayPal.

I was just making the point that it isn't usually a matter of willingness, but a result of legal and regulatory restrictions - that stops most financial businesses from offering their services abroad.

But... I'm glad to hear that PayPal offers their debit card to Canada!

Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Old 06-26-2004, 08:54 PM

World Marketplace

Ebay-Paypay claims to be the world marketplace! How can it be????? They can not even offer a overseas payment system .

Old 06-26-2004, 09:06 PM
WHT Addict

Alright i have a question.
My Paypal is canadian, my card is on its way to Canada. I live in costa Rica. My partner is in Canada. The card is on my name. He will send it to me (costa rica, central america) will i be able to use it?
hehe..

Old 06-26-2004, 09:15 PM

Mail fowarding

I dont know! Maybe the master Paulcoin nows it.

But if yes, it is possible to use a mail fowarding service in USA to receive your card and send it to your country.

It is not expensive.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

You can use that card in Costa Rica since it's a CC,but you may get flagged for fraud.

Also, Canada is the United States closest neighbours. We share a lot of the same things. It's probably very easy to get things going in Canada once they are in place in the States.

BTW if you want a CAD merchant account go for PSIgate

Old 06-26-2004, 10:52 PM
WHT Addict

Indeed thats what im worried about (the froud flag).

I've asked paypal anywyas, dont want my account to be frozen :p

Thanks.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
EBay Buys Braintree, PayPal Offers Small Business Loans Web Hosting News 2013-09-26 12:14:40
PayPal Nears Braintree Acquisition Deal: Report Web Hosting News 2013-09-23 14:03:32
Five Men from Russia, Ukraine Accused of Massive US Hack Web Hosting News 2013-07-25 14:44:22
PayPal UK IPN Issues Impact Web Hosts, Users Web Hosting News 2013-02-01 09:34:43
CIRA Warns .CA Registrants of Fake Domain Renewal Email Phishing Scam Web Hosting News 2012-08-10 11:02:44