hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Interesting Anti-DoS idea.

Forum Jump

Interesting Anti-DoS idea.

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Interesting Anti-DoS idea.

First of all, please apologize if im talking absolete rubbish, I'm currently learning the whole technical background of TCP/IP.

Anyway, dealing with clients who use servers for DoSing and the likes can be very expensive to deal with, and recieving DoS attacks obviously painful.

Now, this little random idea is probably been thought of and prehaps exists, but looking at ICMP Source Quench.

From what I can gather if a box is getting flooded by too much information it sends a Source Quench request to the server. Now blatently this isnt mantatory, since we have DoSing, but what about something which takes this and makes it mandatory, forcing the server to stop the DoS. Webhosts could write this in ToS that this measure is required on the server, and thus eliminating effective DoS attacks from the servers.

Feedback / Correcting me for such a stupid idea (if I'm making no sense) welcome .

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

OK I'm a bit of newbie so guessing here but taking that the source IP is forged on most DDOS then sending an ICMP Source Quench would actually be directed at an innocent bystander so prehaps you would end up DOS'ing them as well

Rus

Old 06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Will still help in DDoS, as the slave computers that have been comprised will unable to send the data that the master is telling it to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Web Hosting Master

This would be a standard across the internet, as anyones server/home computer could become comprimised.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Junior Guru

Most DDOS attacks are generated from spoofed ips so I dont think it would help that much. You would be better off implementing hardware filtering and a null routing policy

Old 06-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I agree with tekneeks . If someone flooding from 10,000 spoofed ip and 10 chillds per ip, what protection will do ? But it can bring down any server, if properly implemented. I think ipv6 have a solution for us. Waiting for that era to begin properly.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Fireblade Brings Anti-DDoS Solution to Web Hosting Market at WHD.global 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-04-03 11:16:44
The Pirate Bay Uploads Continue to Grow Despite Anti-Piracy Pressure Web Hosting News 2013-12-31 11:33:12
Fahrenheit Marketing to Foot the Bill for 500 Texas Non-Profits' Web Hosting Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 16:22:22
Jelastic Releases Plugin for Java Development Environment IntelliJ IDEA Web Hosting News 2012-12-05 11:15:46
Domain.com Uses 'Sweet' Swag to Demonstrate Hosting Services at TechCrunch Disrupt SF Event Web Hosting News 2012-09-07 16:45:33