Question Diginode - need comment?

Hi,

I recently found diginode's ads and it looks good. I try to search about this company in our community and found not-up-to-date comment about this company. Plus the member name "diginode" has been "disabled"

Can anybody give me some comment/advise?

Tom Amy

PS. I'm looking for something like diginode / linode. It would be great if you can give some alternative.

Ahhh nobody

I have not really herd anything good / bad with them. No one really talked about them here.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

From his ads

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=diginode

I'm quite wondering becuase he posted about 162 messges here, but nobody know him

Beside, his account has been banned. I'd like to know why? Should I trust this guy?

Tom

I help admin my friends diginode server since he bought it about 20 days ago. As far as their network goes, it is excellent. 100% network (and hardware) uptime so far. The only really big problem is their control panel that lets you change your OS in under 5 minutes. What allows them to do this is vmware:
    gamepad# cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep -i vmware
    acd0: CDROM <VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive> at ata1-master PIO4
    da0: <VMware, VMware Virtual S 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da1: <VMware, VMware Virtual S 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da2: <VMware, VMware Virtual S 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da3: <VMware, VMware Virtual S 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    Now the problem is that this makes it EXTREMELY SLOW. It takes my 300mhz / 64mb ram home box about 1.5hrs to recompile the kernel, this box took well over 6 hours. This box is a 1200mhz p3 / 512MB ram and it performs horridly. If they would allow you to just switch the OS instead of everything being emulated through vmware, I think it would be just fine.

If you have anything that needs fast performance, I would reccomend staying away from them until they let you change out of vmware.

Originally posted by mnu
    Now the problem is that this makes it EXTREMELY SLOW. It takes my 300mhz / 64mb ram home box about 1.5hrs to recompile the kernel, this box took well over 6 hours. This box is a 1200mhz p3 / 512MB ram and it performs horridly. If they would allow you to just switch the OS instead of everything being emulated through vmware, I think it would be just fine.

If you have anything that needs fast performance, I would reccomend staying away from them until they let you change out of vmware.
    Thank you mnu. However, do we need to recompile new kernel? Can we just use default OS installation? And what's about the support they provided?

BTW, what's about Linode.com the price is more expensive. Can anybody give some comment? (Server Performance, Network Stability, Support)

Tom

He was using a compilation of the kernel as an example: with VMware, everything is emulated and everything will be slower than an actual machine. Personally I'd stay away from it.

Now I would have to go against the trends being stated here. You won't get a full-blown dedicated box, but it's close. It's like a high-end VPS. Except you can do the stuff you couldn't do with a VPS, like filesystem quotas, kernel recompiles, running Postgres, etc etc etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or what, but I've done a complete buildworld, which includes the kernel, of FreeBSD. And it took no longer than it would normally take on my Athlon here at home.

And I have yet to notice any pokeyness from it running under VMWare. Runs, and feels, darn close to a normal box. And the ability to have a virtual serial console to my machine is nice, too.

Insert standard Your Mileage May Vary disclaimers and whatnot here. But I've read some previous "horror stories" of the old Diginode around here, and have yet to experience anything bad from them.

--Scott