hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : finding clients guerilla-style... continues...

Forum Jump

finding clients guerilla-style... continues...

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

finding clients guerilla-style... continues...

I always laughed at Aplus.net and others after reading posts of them calling people about moving their website to them. Well, lo and behold, today I got my first call. From none other than CI Host. The poor guy claimed that he was calling me upon my request to sign up with them, and was very stumped when I told him I never requested to move my domain to them. Nonetheless, he managed to squeeze out that they offer an $8.95/month plan and that it is cheaper than what I am paying now. Wrong! But it offers more features. Don't care. But we guarantee 100% uptime. Prove it. OK, how much are you paying for the service? Less than you charge.

I think by the end we went around the loop 2 times or so. Then I said "thanks for your time" and he pretended not to hear. It was worth it being nice to the poor bugger... he was so confused. I laughed for some time after we hung up, after two more rounds.

It was, in general, a very rewarding experience.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

If a web host ever called me, I'd just act like I didn't hear their offer and start offering them my own web hosting services.... .

I did the same thing with a local paper kept calling me ever week asking if I've heard about this offer, or that offer... I told the telemarketer I was selling Xbox Games on eBay and asked if he'd like to buy it.. he said no, we hung up, I called him back 5 minutes later and offered it again. Needless to say I haven't been called about the paper in over a year now.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

ROFL I love your technique... gotta try it someday.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yup Yup, I await when aplus calls me again, caught me off guard the first time. They left a long *** message on my machine

Old 06-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Web Hosting Master

that must have been fun

Old 06-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

That's a good idea, especially since it worked!

:: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Old 06-22-2004, 08:51 PM

Host call

I know what you mean. Unfortunately I haven't gotten those kind of calls lately.

I think there are too many hosting companies, I would advice others from joining. Worse you have others like the ones on this thread talking down standardwebhost.com, because it offers unlimited space. I own the company and I offer customers more space if they need it free of charge, that's my definition of unlimited on the Gold Package.

Old 06-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

Pfff.. Here is what I do. I just tell them I already have the product. A newspaper calls me - I already receive it, a host calls me - I'm already signed up with them, a bank calls me for another credit card - I already have it, etc. Works like a charm and confuses them big time since theyjust change my contact profile to "current customer" and never bug me again.

Is your company represented?

Old 06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

Register.com keeps calling me and asking me to resell their domains services every few months. The conversation lasts about 30 seconds everytime. As the guy starts his schpeil about Register.com I interupt him and say "Can you give me a price better than 6.95 per year?"
he says "thank you for your time sir"

hehe

Old 06-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Artashes
Pfff.. Here is what I do. I just tell them I already have the product. A newspaper calls me - I already receive it, a host calls me - I'm already signed up with them, a bank calls me for another credit card - I already have it, etc. Works like a charm and confuses them big time since theyjust change my contact profile to "current customer" and never bug me again.
nice strategy, Artashes is ahead of the game

Old 06-23-2004, 06:56 AM

I agree, I am going to use the same strategy.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Canada’s Shaw Communications Buys ViaWest for $1.2B Web Hosting News 2014-07-31 14:29:28
Web Host BurstNET to Shut Down Customer Services by July 25 Web Hosting News 2014-06-24 18:21:24
Cloud Host DigitalOcean Supports Public IPv6 Addresses in New Singapore Region Web Hosting News 2014-06-17 18:08:11
New Solid-State Option Available to Users of Amazon’s Block Storage Cloud Web Hosting News 2014-06-17 13:50:13
Host Surf UK Launches US Hosting Plans and Services Web Hosting News 2013-08-22 10:13:19