hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Can i go dedicated for under 150 a month or less?

Forum Jump

Can i go dedicated for under 150 a month or less?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Talking

Im on a Dedicated RaQ3 now wich i doin't like it's ways to slow and the stats are bad. I would like to get away from cobalts and get a real server the problem is that i don't know how to setup a server so i guess i would need a manged server (im not even sure what that is) from what i've seen that is very costly. I would like to find a host that would setup everything for me DNS name server e-mail etc on the server.

Basically i want a dedicated server (not a raq) and have the host treat it like it's virtual server buy setting up the dns etc for me since i have no clue as to how and i don't want to try it myself because a mistake could be costly.

I need 40 MB of disk storage cgi 24/7 FTP 1 POP account 99% up time good stats tracker and 50GB of bandwidth and that's it i don't need my MySQL or anything so where could i find such a thing for under 150 or is it not possible. I guess im asking for a manged dedicated server since i don't know how to set things up.

Maybe i can do virtual hosting? Only place that comes close to what i need is tera-byte i aked them they said i need dedicated. What do you guys think i should do any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Hmmmm... I think with 50GB, you're probably asking for too much. You'd probably end up having to go dedicated, unfortunately.... And no, I don't like your chances of getting a $99/month (non-RaQ3) managed d-server either..

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Old
Web Hosting Master

what sort of site you got?. that would need its own dedicated server?.

Sponsored Links
Old

celebs site (pics, bios) what exactly is a manged dedicated server? I never do anything to my raq what am i souposed to be doing? no one uses it but me all i do is log in and make sure all the lights are green and check the bandwidth wich it dosent track right.

Old
Web Hosting Master

you need a dedicated server, but there is no way you're going to get a managed server for under $200. I have a server at Dialtoneinternet.com and it has been great. When you get it everything is setup (dns, apache, sendmail, etc...) and it comes with a basic control panel that let's you do many common admin tasks.

Old

what is a manged dedicaed server? I wouldn't need somthing like that for my kind of site would i.

Old
Web Hosting Master

A managed dedicater server is just your own server with someone else doing all the administration.

Old
WHT Addict

Wink This Might Do.....

I hate to mention these guys since they had such a bad rap a while back but they have a package that might work for you. Take a look at the max package. They claim they only put 25 accounts on a server with this package.

http://www.burst.net/hosting/linux.shtml

Old

hmmm 50000MB= 50GB? that looks great with 25 other accounts on the server anyone here ever used them? I wonder if anyone else offers something like that.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Guestt
Im on a Dedicated RaQ3 now wich i doin't like it's ways to slow and the stats are bad.
There is something wrong. The site is big, but doesn't sound that big. Why is the RaQ slow? Who do you have it with? What is the connection? How much ram does it have? Which RaQ? Do you have webalizer installed?

Chicken

Old

yes it has webalizer 130 but it dosent work same goes for the raq3 bandwidth stats it says i've used 5gb for this month wich is way off i get 30,000 to 50 page views a day. its a raq3 64mb ram.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

RAQ performance and stats

The RAQ stats are a bit disapointing... However I've never seen a performance problem from them assumeing that you give them plenty of RAM.
Are you running intershop or chilli soft ASP? Both tend to slow the RAQ down considerably(sp) I'm guessing because they consume almost all available RAM and force the server to swap out to disk.
If you could include a the output from a ps/ax when it's slow and a free maybe we could figure out what's causeing it.
As to webalizer I love it :-), had some initial teething problems geting it to work with FP but it seemed to behave well. Did you install from the pkg file or rpm?

Sam

Old
Web Hosting Master

Guestt, your speed problem is most likely due to the fact that you only have 64megs of ram. Have you been monitoring you swap partition to see how big your swap file is? Chances are you need to up the ram to 256 megs and you'll notice a huge performance increase.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Well you forgot to let us know about connection and provider which might tell us more about the problem, but regardless of all that, as everyone said, add ram to 256 or 512. If the connection is fast then this, most likely, is your problem.

Chicken

Old

swap partition i have no idea of what that is. Im not runing anything but HTML pages and some cgi the highest i'ver ever seen the CPU usage is 0.40 at my peak hours is that high? average is at 0.08 so i dont think i need more ram?

Im with catalog.com and they dont seem to answer mail no matter which e-mail address i send it to i guess they dont like my questions. I got webalizer from a pkg file from cobalts site it worked for a day and that was it and that was a month ago.

Why dosent the raqs bandwidth read right? It only says 5GB for the month, i know better i've been with alot of virtual hots and left them because i use 30+GB a month
they never kicked me off for using to much CPU i left because they wanted $5 or more for all that bandwidth i used
and most only come with 10 or 15GB so it was cheaper for me to get a dedicated server.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - September 5, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-09-05 15:34:51
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - May 23, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 17:06:57
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - November 1, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:41
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – September 27, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:46
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – August 9, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:53