Thread: Dreamhost?

Dreamhost?

Hello i am looking to go with a hosting service with dreamhost and useing the code monster plan can anyone tell me if they are secure and good about there word. And can any of you tell me what the down side is about dreamhost.

Hi XeoB

I would recomend using the search tool to find reviews about them....they should have a lot of reviews about them....i ran a search using the search tool on the top of this forum on the keyword dreamhost and here are some of the link i found that might be usefull to you....

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=dreamhost

Good Luck

I can personally vouch for DreamHost as being a very stable and reliable hosting provider. They have little glitches now and then. However thay have top notch costumer service - plans ritch in extra features [some even not advertised] - excellent custom control panel.

We have 3 virtual hosting accounts and one dedicated server with them since fall of 2000 they only improved and improved they service over this time period . We hope to stay with them at least another 4 years.
    There is no magic. There are only onions.
    Rocket404.com - web development the smart way

hey kufel, thanks for nice recommendation. Just wondering why would you like to not host with them after 4 years? Sounds strange or maybe I am getting things wrong.
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

well technology can change
    dreamhost can go bankrupt
    apocalypse may come

you never know

some elaboration:
    we would love to be with them another 4 years or more, we just love the dreamhost experience
    however we recently grew in the webhositng business providing hosting to our webdesgin/web developmnet clients, we lease and manage our own servers now [ThePlanet] - and in a year or two fully managed services like dreamhost won't be necessary for us.

Thank you.

Kufel, you said DH has "little glitches now and then." How much down time would you guess you 've experienced with them over the course of a year?

Originally posted by nobunaga
    Kufel, you said DH has "little glitches now and then." How much down time would you guess you 've experienced with them over the course of a year?
    I would say no more then 8-10 hours in an entire year as far as I remember a year back - majority of that time was due to a very happy DOS attack against DH - and somewhat slow recovery due to a faulty router.

My control panel shows uptime stat of 99.923%

Basically anytime I need my sites, my client database [I keep my billing system on their servers] , my whatever - webmail, marketing sites, its there

One good example of their reliabllity - one of the sites I developed with friends for fun - WhenIwasLittle - where users can post their pictures NOW and THEN kind of thing - got featured in the New York Times, UsaToday and some other news places - for about 10 days we were doing traffic ranging from 80-130GB/day with heavy DB usage - DH worked with us to make sure the site is up etc - did not give us the boot or charged us ridicoulous amount of money for traffic usage like some hosts do quietly.

I hope this helps you out. I would write detailed questions directly to them, I found them always very honest towards all costumers.

No gurantees expressed or implied in preceeding review, just personal experience.

Originally posted by kufel

One good example of their reliabllity - one of the sites I developed with friends for fun - WhenIwasLittle - where users can post their pictures NOW and THEN kind of thing - got featured in the New York Times, UsaToday and some other news places - for about 10 days we were doing traffic ranging from 80-130GB/day with heavy DB usage - DH worked with us to make sure the site is up etc - did not give us the boot or charged us ridicoulous amount of money for traffic usage like some hosts do quietly.
    Well, this is what makes a host different! BTW, what's your site url hosted with them.. just to see and not for any verification
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by domainwala
    Well, this is what makes a host different! BTW, what's your site url hosted with them.. just to see and not for any verification
    The wheniwaslitle project was finally taken offline about a year ago..
    http://spekt.org/ps.php?n=115&i=5 <--- a portfolio screenshot is about all that left of it. I still have a couple of clients websites on there, however I will not disclose the ful list without their permission,

cheers.

Kufel,

Thanks. That was definitely a helpful/informative response!

I would recommend them, I've been with them for just under 5 months having gave up on two other hosts for various reasons.

During that time my site has had down time twice in total, once when they had a serious router failure and the second time when they suffered a large DDOS attack.

It was these two events that have impressed me the most about dreamhost. They were honest and upfront with these problems and gave timeframes on their resolution. And communicated exactly what they were going to do to prevent the problem happening again.

With the two other hosts I have had experience with, too many times you would submit a ticket to have a reply talking about a generic issue that they have fixed for your site to go down again.

All web hosts will run into some problems at one time or another, DDOS attacks and hardware failure are two reasons that can be difficult to combat in the cut-throat pricing of shared hosting. But once a problem is found and fixed I expect it to stay fixed. And that is what dreamhost get a 10/10 from me on.

I might as well toss in a recommendation as well. Except for a DDOS attack a few weeks ago, I've had no problems with them and found their control panel second to none.

I've been with them going on 2 years now, have 3 full domains hosted and many subdomains. In the time I've been there, my account has been upgraded in disk space, bandwidth, and several other features free of charge.

Anyone else with reviews or opinions on DH? I really like to hear something more up to date, such as how they are performing now.

Well, if you sign up for their "Crazy Domain Insane!" plan now, it costs $9.24 for a year. I signed up about 30 mins after I'd seen the promotion and am sort of thankful I didn't sign up earlier. (If you question my apparent lack of homework done on DreamHost before signup up, let me just say that I've done my homework before and only didn't sign up because it wasn't exactly the cheapest plan at the usual price. I've heard mostly good things about DreamHost and also recommendations from several Mozilla people.)

I just hope they don't dump us on sub-par or overcrowded servers and treat us promotional signup customers as they would "normal" customers.

I'm very happy with Dreamhost, I just can't figure some things out with the control panel. kufel, since you've been with them for a long time, mind AIMing me at thumbsup2mrcoffe so I can ask some questions?
    www.gfxhaven.com/forums - My graphics community

Been with DH for about a year now, and I have to give them 2 thumbs up.
    Support is excellant, downtime is non-existent, features are great (and get better) and some of the sales they have are incredible deals.

Ahem, visit www.dreamhost.com NOW and you'll be probably lucky enough to get a year of hosting for 9.42!!! (that's 800mb/40GB account!!!)....

Too good to be true?

They often have spectacular birthday sales. I bought one last year, and have had a very pleasant year with them. I've recommended them to a bunch of people, who have told me that they were also very happy with Dreamhost.

Originally posted by MAndrew
    ...downtime is non-existent...
    I wouldn't go that far. You didn't notice your site was down the entire day of Mar. 29th? I was a customer for a year, and I didn't leave because of that incident -- although others did. What I wasn't happy with was their bungled response to the Mar. 29th DDOS attack on a client, before or during the incident. Their response afterwards, was mostly a good example of how to put out fires, except for a little blowback via e-mail from yours truly...

Dreamhost does have excellent support. One reason I cancelled, is it took an increasing amount of time to get a response. The (very slow) CP shows how many tickets are in the queue. When I signed up, this mostly stayed under 100. When I cancelled, it hadn't been under 200 in weeks. I believe I cancelled in late August.

I don't think there's reason to worry about being put on an overcrowded box, though. First, I don't think they would do that, second -- I don't think they could. That CP of theirs is none too flexible, and I would doubt they have much ability to treat their customers differently within that environment, based on what special offer they signed up under. IMHO.
    Last edited by BigBison; 10-11-2004 at 11:59 PM.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

20. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com