hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Ticket sytem/help desk, how important??

Forum Jump

Ticket sytem/help desk, how important??

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2004, 09:06 AM

Ticket sytem/help desk, how important??

Hi,
Just thought I would search for some feedback on peoples ideas of providing a support ticket system/help desk for clients. I have standard email addresses. What are your thoughts experiences with using such support avenues.

Your responses greatly appreciated. Will influence my decision.

Regards
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 AM
WHT Addict

Email isnt bad, but I highly suggest a helpdesk. Maybe one that will "pipe" the emails into the helpdesk.

I love Support-Logic

Old 06-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

In order to be recognized, you need to stand out. You should start with the best helpdesk software, www.deskpro.com. It's pricey, but worth the money. Our customers love it and not one has left since we got it. It's just a great feature to add to your website.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

I set up http://www.cerberusweb.com/ complete free, if you only need 1 box (like support@yourdomain.com)

The suppport has also been very responsive.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Retired Moderator

A Helpdesk is often a very valuable tool because it provides the organization that email simply can't. Once the client has their issue taken care of and the ticket is closed, it's still there for the client to come back to and check later if the problem arises again because odds are that email will have been long deleted. It's also a good way to keep track of your or your staff's actions in a log. You can gauge how well the support is working and so forth.

I think it also comforts the clients a bit in the long run and has a positive psychological effect on them because it is so organized and they're not just sending an email in that is more likely to be looked over.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:21 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your feedback and recomendations. I think I will purchase a ticket system/help desk. I believe it gives that extra professional touch.

Thanks again
Phil

Old 06-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

Email seems to be more personal but after you experience a bout of growing pains, it gets to be unmanageable. This gives the opposite effect. ;-) This is when you switch to helpdesk.

Roj

Old 06-04-2004, 02:29 PM
WHT Addict

There is no reason why you should purchase your helpdesk/live chat at this stage of the game.

There are plenty of professional quality free solutions out-there. Why not use them until you've got the cash to spend?

If you're a new business, you should stop trying to spend money and try focusing on, for example, getting your clients. A small 'Provided by www.helpcenterlive.com' in the bottom of your support system will not kill off your business image.

To many new businesses try spending money at the start. Don't! Once you've got the money, then you can spend

----

Old 06-04-2004, 04:03 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

I'd have disagree with you, Aaron.

We spent a lot of money starting out. And it seems to have worked well.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:40 PM
WHT Addict

If you have the money, its a great idea. However, I'm not prepared to put in thousands of pounds and then wait three years whilst the bank manager constantly asks "where are the profits?"

----

Old 06-04-2004, 05:45 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

I suppose we'll just need to disagree. Because, I believe, if you don't have money, you shouldn't be starting a business that others rely on.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:57 PM
WHT Addict

Hmmm, with regards to that I'm not sure. Businesses are designed to generate cash, not change it from one form to another. However, of course a starting capital is required. I do not see, however, how purchasing a support system with your starting capital is a good, priliminary purchase when there is software (such as Macromedia Dreamweaver) to be licenced and servers to be rented.

If you are a UK based webhost the HSBC bank recommend you purchase a 28,000 line with a yearly charge of 20,000 to start your business. Although I doubt that many new webhosts go down the route of starting their own mini-datacentre the point is that with costs such as these to consider, help desks (when perfectly good versions can be obtained free) should not be considered as a purchase.

I feel the focus should be more on ensuring any staff you have are trained, ensuring you are with a reputable supplier and ensuring you have enough reserve funds to carry you through until that loan/overdraft you took out runs out. Don't forget telephone lines, postage, office fees etc. to consider - as well as tax allowances and marketing.

----

Old 06-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Is our children learning?

Helpdesks & support, in my opinion, are a very important part of your company, if a user can't get in contact with anyone, then you are useless to them.

The more methods they have to contact you, the better.

As for which one to use, there are quite a few:
www.osticket.com - Free
www.perldesk.com -50

Regards

Old 06-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Junior Guru

I have to agree with SoftWareRevue spending the time and the money at the start will pay off in the long run, for what a decent help desk costs these days it is a good idea to get one from the start even if you upgrade it later. It helps manage and control your customers and staff much better than e-mail.

I guess it comes down to what your target market is and what level of support and service you offer.

We are about to launch and our target is businesses and existing sites looking for higher level of service and support, not to have a decent support desk would be suicide as these people expect fast responsces 24 hours a day and it means we can manage several support staff across a 24 hour period to deal with customers requests on top of this I have logging and history to look back on.

I really do not know how I would run my present business without a support desk and using e-mail only, I get around 150 - 200 emails a day and have enough trouble sorting though them without trying to manage support in e-mail.

Just my 2p's worth

Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Junior Guru

Does anyone know if there is an open source helpdesk project?

I would like to host it on my own machine, and if it was free it would be awesome.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Turnkey Internet Adds New Features to Cloud-Hosted Virtual Desktop Web Hosting News 2013-08-21 14:45:11
Liquid Web Updates Mobile Management Interface with Bill Payment Feature Web Hosting News 2013-05-23 14:56:25
Cloud Software Firm Citrix Invests in PaaS Startup CumuLogic, Buys IT Service Desk Beetil Web Hosting News 2012-09-11 13:50:56
Web Host SingleHop Adds New Automated Features to its Service Level Agreement Web Hosting News 2012-04-23 09:50:45
Smart Emotions Lead To Great Customer Service Blog 2012-06-11 11:14:38