* My first REAL server

I have run serveral sites on linux servers that were actually pc's and I have administrated real servers like dell power edge and IBM e-server.

But now I have to buy my own server and I feel completely lost. It will be placed on a 10mbit connection and I want as much out of it as I can.

I'm thinking of running about 5 - 10 communities on this server, some that will have almost no traffic and some that perhaps will need their own server in the future.

What is most important? The CPU? The RAM? The speed of the hard drives?

What I have been looking on is some Xeon server with 1gb RAM and SATA drives. But this is already a bit to expensive for me.

Would a Pentium 4 with 1 gb ram and mirrored IDE drives still perform well?

What did you buy for your first server? Can you reccomend any special brand?

The server has to be 1 unit high only.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by 5 to 10 communities, do you mean nuke installations? A p4 2.8 with a half a gig of ram and a couple 80 gig ides from www.fastservers.net should MORE than suit, and not break the bank. The benefit is being located in the middle of the US (IF thats where you want to be centered. Personally, I like having a server in iowa as its central to most of the demographics I deal with.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Neat! How about Celeron CPU, are they crap?

My personally experience is,... yes. I haven't had much luck with them. The last stable workstation (Besides my P4 3ghz now) was a p3 600.

The celeron servers I've dealt with held up yes, but I personally wouldn't recommend them. I am sure plenty of providers with much more statistical information would have their own opinions but Im a hardware guy, and I know what works from my perspective. Would I get a celeron server? nope. Are they crap? From my experience ... yes. Are they crap for webhosting? Not sure, dont/havent used them. All p3s to p4s
    dotGig

Good, personally I'm more of a Pentium guy =) AMD burn in hell! =)

If I get raid for mirrored hard drive is there important that I choose SATA instead of normal ATA?

Yep, pentium guy here, from the AMD120 being whipped by the dx4100 with duke, to later machines and the real deal tech articles about why amd "thinks" its better lol... yep pentium guy here as well.

To answer about the drive question, really doesnt matter.

IDE RAID = BAD!
    SATA RAID = Equals ok..., until it fails...

As far as the difference? Both will cause the same amount of grief. I'm a scsi guy.
    dotGig

You are a systems admin?

For a mirrored config it doesnt require one or the other.
    Are you planning on building yourself or ordering a pre-built or barebones machine? That will help the others here get you some quality links as far as places to buy from.

haha!

Hmm, So what are you saying It's better just having to separated IDE drives than have them mirrored and copy files with a scheduled backup rutine instead?

WHY is IDE raid bad?

I would prefer SCSI too, but it costs a litle bit more. =/

Originally posted by Cope
    You are a systems admin?

For a mirrored config it doesnt require one or the other.
    Are you planning on building yourself or ordering a pre-built or barebones machine? That will help the others here get you some quality links as far as places to buy from.

You're thinking about some software raid solution?

I think I will try to buy something pre-built.. isn't it a lot of trouble getting the parts to build a 1u server?

IDE RAID
    reduced performace, false sense of security, and then upon failure panic, recovery is a bitch and I would never and I mean this strongly never use it

SATA RAID
    it works great until it fails

What works for me is a primary, and a backup drive in each server.
    dotGig

How does this look?

Price: 1 605,26 USD

HP ProLiant DL140 - Xeon 2.4 GHz
    Server
    1 U
    2 x Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz
    Cache 1 MB L2
    Cache pr. processor 512 KB
    RAM 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR SDRAM - ECC - 266 MHz - PC2100
    Controller: IDE DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra) ) - PCI
    Hard drive 1 x 80 GB - standard - DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)
    Grafic controller PCI - ATI RAGE XL - 8 MB
    PCI-X / 133 MHz - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

What is the price for that? Price: 1 605,26 USD What does that mean?
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

I give the store 1 605,26 USD they give me that server. Simple as that =)

You could run 400 sites, with a lot of active sites on it =) (If properly managed).
    dotGig

Does Linux or BSD (I prefer BSD) run well on those Xeon CPU's?

I'm just worried about the IDE's.. dont want to loose the data.

Hard to answer you question, would it run? Not sure, Dont run BSD currently on dual xeons. Linux I know would run fine.

I just picked up two p4 2.8's from fastservers and not having any trouble with them at all. The last couple years a backup drive solution has solved anything I've ran into, needed to do etc.
    dotGig

i don't see why bsd wouldn't run on xeon cpus

in fact, you can select "freebsd 4.9" while buying a xeon 2.4 GHz from server matrix, for example

btw... to don't loose your data:
    - backup to a local harddrive (hardware raid, software raid or, what i most like if it's not very important to have the 'real time' data: backups every night rsynced)
    - at least once or twice per week (because of bandwidth cost) backup to an outside server (on another DC)
    some costs $5 per 10 GBs of HD space... so it really worths

I think we will do copies to the second hd like every second hour. We will also copy to another server on the same DC so that if it crash we can just change the DNS to run against the other server.

Isn't the price I mentioned very cheap for that server?

Originally posted by d_l0rd
    I think we will do copies to the second hd like every second hour. We will also copy to another server on the same DC so that if it crash we can just change the DNS to run against the other server.

Isn't the price I mentioned very cheap for that server?
    in fact i never saw DC selling servers...
    they usually rent it... including cost for bandwidth

True, thats why I wont buy it from a dc =) but I know a dc that we rent me bw and network where I can put the server...

so is it a good price for the server or not?