Why am I not showing up when I do a link: in Google?

Hi all!
    I have a reletively new business and if I search by my name I have a bunch of links from other pages.
    However, when I go to google and do link:<to my site> nothing shows up..

I thought that link: showed you the links to your page from other pages, but apparently not.

Could someone explain what may be going on to me?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 06-04-2004 at 02:51 AM.
    www.sgnettech.com
    Affordable, reliable Cpanel hosting and dialup.

Try submitting your url to http://www.google.com/addurl.html

Try submitting your url to http://www.google.com/addurl.html
    Hiya'..
    I've already done this and my site is in Google and gets spidered.
    If I search by my name I see a couple of pages of links to my page, but when I do a link: nothing shows up..

What is the difference between links to your page and using 'link:http://www.xxx.xxx' to check your links?

Thanks
    www.sgnettech.com

Here's something else that's interesting.

If I search Google for sgnettech I see my site and a bunch of links to it.
    If I search for www.sgnettech.com I see only my site.

The thing is that when I do just the sgnettech search, the results that come back list the full URL in them, so why wouldn't those links show up when I do the URL search?

I sent an Email to Google, hopefully they'll get back to me and I'll post my results here if they do.
    www.sgnettech.com

I dont know why it doesnt show up. Perhaps google should have an answer

Haven't heard from Google yet, but did more reasearch.

Apparently your backlinks will only show up (when using link: ) if your sites is a PR4 or greater, also it will only show sites that have PR ratings of 4+.

So that's that.. guess I'll keep working on building my PR.
    www.sgnettech.com

Showson, yes that is the case. You can also search for your links by querying "www.+yourdomain.+com" but that will only show the list of websites that link to your url.

Also, to help track you overall link pop in multiple search engines you can use....

http://tools.marketleap.com/publinkpop/

NOTE: There are additional searches at the bottom of the results page, not included in the initial search.

Originally posted by showson
    HiHowever, when I go to google and do link:http://www.sgnettech.com nothing shows up..
    That should be just link:www.sgnettech.com -- don't use the "http://."

But you're right -- Google displays only links from pages about a certain PageRank value. The exact value varies; but it's somewhere around 4 (that is, it could be a little above or a little below 4.0). So even using the proper syntax above you currently won't see any links.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Try typing the following in google.

sgnettech.com?

Originally posted by RMF
    Try typing the following in google.

sgnettech.com?
    He's trying to find pages that link to sgnettech.com. That won't do it; it's just another way to end up with pages that contain the text "sgnettech.com" -- that is, it gets the same results as the advanced search for "sgnettech.+com"
    Originally posted by recipher
    You can also search for your links by querying "www.+yourdomain.+com" but that will only show the list of websites that link to your url.
    Not exactly. It will show pages that contain the string "www.yourdomain.com" -- whether it's a link or not.
    Last edited by JayC; 06-03-2004 at 09:24 PM.

By the way, showson, when you say "relatively new business" does that mean it's a new site? I'm on the road right now and so don't have the Google toolbar installed but just did another check and find a PageRank zero on your home page... which really means no links are being counted, not just that low-PR links aren't being displayed. If it's a new site that isn't unexpected.

Also google's link: routine is very unreliable. It never used to be but I know for a fact it doesn't actually return everything that links to your these days (that's in the google index)

link: only shows PR4+ on google.

try using alltheweb

Originally posted by disgust
    try using alltheweb
    That used to be the best approach. But AllTheWeb is owned by Yahoo now, and so displays Yahoo results. While they still have the advanced search features so you can use a link: command there (while you can't at Yahoo itself), they don't have the index size that they used to. So the results in response to a link: request are much less valuable than they used to be. In fact, for almost every site I've tried, I get fewer listed linking pages from alltheweb than I do for Google, in spite of the fact that Google certainly doesn't return all of the links it has indexed, while alltheweb does.

It's probably the worst thing about Yahoo's acquisitions -- AllTheWeb used to be a great site.

While you guys are saying that only PR4+ links are displayed in the results for link: to some site, this is not entirely correct! Google also counts pages as links even if they have lower PR (even PR0) but as long as they are part of a site that google counts as important, i.e. a hub site.

Originally posted by soreman
    While you guys are saying that only PR4+ links are displayed in the results for link: to some site, this is not entirely correct! Google also counts pages as links even if they have lower PR (even PR0) but as long as they are part of a site that google counts as important, i.e. a hub site.
    Sure, they count them as links and use them in PageRank calculation, hub and authority scores, etc. But... "they are not displayed in the link: command results" is still an accurate statement and "entirely correct."

The only part of the way you repeated that I'd disagree with is that PR4 is the cutoff. The cutoff has varied from time to time, and is approximately 4.0 -- but PageRank isn't actually the whole number displayed on the toolbar (technically the real PageRank is a probability vector with the sum of the PageRanks of every page in the index equal to 1, but that's a different discussion ).

Sometimes you'll see links from PR4 sites, sometimes not... so I'd take that as meaning that the cutoff is sometimes just under 4, and sometimes just over it, not necessarily precisely 4.

your site dont have enough hits

Originally posted by giggos
    your site dont have enough hits
    No, that has nothing to do with it. Google has no idea how many hits any site gets.