Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

distasteful ad banner

There's a banner in rotation here that nearly gave me an siezure with it's rapid flashing. It's for webtraffictalk.com and it's high speed flashing graphics is hard on the eyes.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

Seizure-banners have been discussed here before.

The last time, when we all made it clear we would be firewalling WHT's ad server, iNet made a committment to implement and enforce an advertising standards policy.

Report it.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah I saw that and tried to copy the link, but it was flash which I thought they weren't accepting anymore. If I can remember who the ad was for, I will notify iNet. I just need to look at a couple of pages in OO&R to find who it was
      0 Not allowed!

I haven't seen that one yet but aren't iNet checking the ads before they go live?
    A flashing and flash banner in rotation...that's the two things that weren't meant to be shown
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information
      0 Not allowed!

AdMuncher is your friend

As soon as iNET convinces me they are monitoring the banners better, I'll look at them again.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com
      0 Not allowed!

nick, just wondering if you've registered your copy of Ad Muncher?
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

When people block the ads, does it still use an impression that the advertiser bought?
    John Diver
      0 Not allowed!

I didn't and still don't think that banner was beyond what should and is acceptable for WHT. With that being said, I am having Sheldon at p3rpl3xity.com do some tweaks of the banner.
      0 Not allowed!

John, it depends on how the blocker works I suppose. Ad Muncher removes the HTML code when it matches a filter. There will be an impression on the page, but not on the banner (since it was never loaded at the first place).
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks a lot Knogle, appreciate the answer
    John Diver
      0 Not allowed!

The banner was for webtraffictalk.com. I tried to copy the link to, but with Flash it's not easy to do. What's interesting it slipped through my ad blocker. I now put iNet's adserver on full block in the mean time.

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse 7
    Yeah I saw that and tried to copy the link, but it was flash which I thought they weren't accepting anymore. If I can remember who the ad was for, I will notify iNet. I just need to look at a couple of pages in OO&R to find who it was
    73's, Kim
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    ...I now put iNet's adserver on full block in the mean time.
    It's happening again, iNet.

WHT members are an esthetically-sensitive bunch!

Enforce your 'advertising standards policy' or suffer the consequences.

Hint: Google has started to accept banner ads and they allow absolutely NO animation. I wonder why that is?
      0 Not allowed!

I have to say I don't like banners that do anything more than once...but I would never use a banner blocker.

I know on our own site it is the only way we can draw income to support it. If everyone used one it would kill off the thing they were coming to visit.

I won't go off on a rant about people expecting everything for free :-)

But I think I do recall a banner on here the other day as I thought it was a bit like something that would give an epiletic an attack.
      0 Not allowed!

I normally only block banners from free email sites since their standards are a lot lower and have those rapid flashing "you won" banners. This is the 2nd time I had to block banners from iNet. The last time when the awful Yaxey one was in rotation. Most of the other banners here are fine and I even clicked on a few.
    73's, Kim
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JKLIVIN
    I didn't and still don't think that banner was beyond what should and is acceptable for WHT. With that being said, I am having Sheldon at p3rpl3xity.com do some tweaks of the banner.
    Wasnt it Gabe who said no Flash/ Flashy banners? (Flashy as in moving arround, changing colours etc)
      0 Not allowed!

Yep..we've already gone through this at least 2 times now since that was said..It's easy to say stuff, apparently it's harder to actually do it....
      0 Not allowed!

Yup. He said, "...I have also instructed the team: no bouncy/flashy ads- regardless of how bounch/flashy...." here.

But, with any automated system, mistakes can easily happen. I'm sure iNET appreciates members bringing these issues to their attention.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Yup. He said, "...I have also instructed the team: no bouncy/flashy ads- regardless of how bounch/flashy...." here. <snip>
    Originally posted by JKLIVIN
    I didn't and still don't think that banner was beyond what should and is acceptable for WHT. <snip>
    There would seem to be a gray area....
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by nickn
    Yep..we've already gone through this at least 2 times now since that was said..It's easy to say stuff, apparently it's harder to actually do it....
    When you imagine how many different banners have gone thru the system since then, having 2 occasions of an ad slipping thru an automated system is really not that bad. Just to keep things in perspective.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Gen-T
    When you imagine how many different banners have gone thru the system since then, having 2 occasions of an ad slipping thru an automated system is really not that bad. Just to keep things in perspective
    Agreed. I was really just stating a fact, not complaining. Just saying, it's a lot easier to say no more flash banners, than it is to actually enforce it with an automated procedure.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com
      0 Not allowed!

i hate the flash banners i dont have flash plugin installed on my linux box so it pops up a popup everytime one comes up. its a pain.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Here's another one for ya:

http://ads.inetinteractive.com/ads/2..._2_top_wht.gif

I complained 12 hours ago... no response

I will give them 12 more hours before I once again start blocking all content from ads.inetinteractive.com.

Sheesh. You think they'd learn!
      0 Not allowed!

It is Sunday...

Also, that banner won't load for me, because it's flash..duh...

You know, maybe instead of blaming iNET, we should push the advertisers who are knowingly breaking the rules. Everyone email psoft asking why they feel they are excluded from the iNET banner policies
    Last edited by snickn; 06-06-2004 at 10:08 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I am hoping iNet will come to the realization that we are a visually-sensitive community of web designers and long-time net users. We are also a technically saavy group for which it is trivial to block all content from an ad server.

Will iNet bite the bullet and ban all animated ads as Google has done, thus annoying a few advertisers? Or will they continue with a "see no evil" policy and have 90% of their website users firewalling their ads?

Given the choice, I would make the ads tolerable simply to avoid them being blocked. Can't get much money from an advertiser if their ads never reach the eyeballs they are paying for!

The excuse that it "is an automated system" is ridiculous. Are they letting people publish whatever they want until someone complains? If huge companies (Google, Overture) can screen every single ad they serve, there is no excuse for others not to do the same.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't believe Psoft was made aware of that policy prior so don't blame them. I am puttiing together a 'do's and dont's for all our banners/policies that should help alleviate some of these problems in the future. Sightz, I really don't know why you are so worked up about this, frankly. If you will read the post again, noone from iNET made any 'excuses' about an 'automated system.' When we get dozens of campaigns a day with sometimes up to 40 or 60 banners a day, unfortunately a few sneak through. I/we do everything we can, but mistakes have happened, and probably will in the future.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast