Zeus, Reciprocal Link Generator

Has anyone here used Zeus, Reciprocal Link Generator software and if so was it worth the $195.00 price tag.

thanks

Some of Zeus' features can be very helpful in managing a link campaign; specifically those for identifying potential related link partners and for tracking the status of your contacts. I wouldn't recommend using the templated solicitation emails, and definitely would using the default link pages -- both their structure and layout and the default file name.

Effective link requests are specifically written for each contact. If you use the template produced by Zeus or any similar software, your solicitation requests will read just like dozens, or hundreds, oF others that your target webmasters receive. That is, they'll probably be seen as spam.

There is very strong evidence that Google, as well as other search engines, has penalized Zeus-produced link pages. Even if you do decide that a dedicated links page is the way to go (and there are good arguments for that not to be the way to go), you should make sure that the pages are unique to your site.

There are of course other ways you can track a link campaign, whether a custom application, an Excel spreadsheet, a commercial contact manager, whatever you like. Probably the most helpful and the most unique function of the program is its ability to spider for potential link partners. If you're not using the programs other features, is it really worth $195? That's up to you.
    Last edited by JayC; 06-03-2004 at 04:57 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Thanks JayC, you brought up some good points. With search engines continually changing there algorithms and tightening up on spam, link farms and the like. I'll think I'll continue the old fashion way. Which is finding similar sites myself and requesting link exchanges. Slow but it gets the job done without worrying about getting penalized or banned off the net, just trying to get that pr up on google.

Iíve tried and actually purchased Zeus. Overall IMHO I was not too impressed. It seemed that no matter what I did I got sites that were useless and even inappropriate sites, even with my keywords being something general like software design and computers. Zeus took up a lot of time that I could have been using to find useful sites that I could actually link to. Another problem I had with Zeus is that it doesnít always work with every website. Zeus is actually a robot and some sites use robot.txt files to block robots. If someone doesnít want to link with someone who uses Zeus then all they have to do is include the robot.txt file to block Zeus. But I agree that at times it was useful to have this program but I really donít think it is worth the price tag. Some possible alternatives that I have found would be a professional monthly service that would scope out link partners for your sites. Company's such as Vroooom.com and other similar sites.