domain for personal email

First, I thought squatting was illegal. Several of my domain choices are currently being squatted by resellers. Is that legal?

Second, is there a particular domain extension that is most appropriate for email use? I thought "cc" was for email but I looked into it and it's actually a country code. Is there a site that lists the most appropriate usage for each domain extension?

You need be a little more specific. When you say "several of my domain choices are...", it sounds like you simply looked up some names that you wanted to register, but are taken. That doesn't make much sense.

As for email use, it doesn't really matter. Most people know .com, so thats probably your best bet. Also make sure you don't use a hypen domain because that will confuse people.

Squatting is when someone is holding your trademark domain. If that is the case, file a UDRP case and get it back.

there are only a few gTLDS:
    com - commercial
    net - network
    org - organization
    info - information
    biz - business (different from commercial?)
    pro - gone live yet?
    museum - museum
    int - international
    gov - government
    edu - educational
    there are a couple others but rarely used. The rest like .cc, .ws .bz are all country codes.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

There are a number of sponsored tlds like .AUTO and .AERO awaiting clearance. These are not made available to the general public but to people who are already established in the particular sector. Maybe you might get .MAIL if some ISPs decide to comeout with it.

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/1557351

Squatting as in the domain is registered and the whois info has an admin name of "This domain is for sale on nameuniverse.com"

They registered it for the purpose of reselling. I thought you had to use or lose it.

Originally posted by Jakeman
    Squatting as in the domain is registered and the whois info has an admin name of "This domain is for sale on nameuniverse.com"

They registered it for the purpose of reselling. I thought you had to use or lose it.
    First off, registering for the purpose of reselling is NOT illegal but legitimate business practice, just like that in the real estate market.

Moreover, even if a domain is posted for sale DOESN'T mean that it is NOT in use!! Many people are living in the same house that they are looking to sell. And there are MANY uses of a domain name other than putting up a website, including but not limited to e-mail or as feed server.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

.aero went live long time ago www.kuwaitairways.aero

i think some ccTLDs fall into UDRP and trademark owners got their domains back check www.wipo.int for some cases.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by kohashi
    pro - gone live yet?
    seems just

all gTLDs listed here gone live.

and yeah .pro gone live few registrar are offering them here is a list
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi