dns server setup?

okay...so we are expanding our business and instead of having to create new nameservers for every server we add-on and wanting to have the option to have a backup server up incase one goes down, we decided to setup a dedicated dns server.

but we use cpanel on all our servers, how would we go about doing this?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

also, what specs would you recommend for just dns operations on this server?
    Sang P. Ma
    President/VizHost.Com, Inc.
    http://www.vizhost.com

i guess no one really knows huh?
    well, i guess its time for me to buy another book. =)
    Sang P. Ma

setting up a dns server isn't a simple task, that's probably why no one answered. it's not something you could really type into a forum post.

and you probably know this already, but you shouldn't run both name servers out of the same location. the reason there are at least two is to ensure that one will stay up in the event of an outage at the other.

of course, if the outage that takes out your name server also takes out your web servers, it's a moot point, isn't it?

vizhost.. what do yuu want to know about DNS ? Ask me one by one.. numbered

Maybe I can help

linux-image.
    root image is a test..

well, basically, i want to have a dns server in place so all traffic gets routed to a backup server incase something was to go down. and yeah i knew that i shouldnt run both nameservers from the same location which is why we are looking for another datacenter besides HE.NET in the near future.

we shall see. im going to start to look into cpanels clustering mode.
    Sang P. Ma

C-panel server ... is yummy..

Well back to the story.. Yes.. I have setup nameservers like that for a client... The C-panel has options to set the master and slave servers...

At the Edit Setup:
    ===================================
    Master Nameserver:
    Enter the IP address of a primary nameserver (if this is not a primary nameserver.) that domain and subdomain updates should be sent to. If you turn this option on you will turn this server into a slave server. A trust key relationship must be established beforing entering the hostname (Optional).

Examples: trusted.server.com, ns1.myhost.com, ns2.anotherhost.com
    Master Cluster Server:
    Enter the IP address of the master cluster server which contains information for the cluster this server belongs to (Optional).
    ===================================
    Make the master server in another datacenter( this is not new to you... ) And set it up..

Now when i say set it up.... The easiest way is......... copy /var/named/* from the current server to master. Reduce the ttl and that is it..

Now suppose you have 2 nameservers ns1.vizhost.com and ns2.vizhost.com. Point ns1.vizhost.com to the master and ns2.vizhost.com to the slave.

BINGo... now if master goes down slave is there.. and viceversa..

Did I help you ? Hope so ...

linux-image
    root image is a test.

The abundance of pictures adds much needed comedy effect to your answer. Brightened up my day
    ----
    Aaron Ferguson - Administrator
    DroveNet Services - www.drovenet.com
    ----

ooooooooooo...... Did it help you too Omingo ...

Thanks man

linux-image
    root image is a test.