free pop3/smtp server for linux?

hello all

i have a plain linux redhat box with nothing preinstalled, i've manually installed with dns server(bind) and made it running, i want to also make it a mail server to handle both incoming and outgoing emails, and the ability to retrieve emails in pop3.

assumming i have nothinhg related to email stuff already installed, what do i need to make it run as above mentioned?

are they seperate stuff?

if your able to tell me what's needed to complete this task, please also provide me with some links that i can wget from

Thanks very much

The system should already have Sendmail installed which handles SMTP. You can install the UW IMAP rpm, which will provide pop3 support.

postfix for MTA
    popa3d for pop3

doesnt get more secure or easier to set up than that. popa3d needed a patch a year ago, which i should still have. they must have fixed that bug ny now though.

p
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

is MTA mail transfer agent used to handle both incoming and outgoing?

thanks, i'm reading popa3d man page

I'll agree on installing Postfix. You can get RPM packages for it at: http://postfix.wl0.org/en/available-packages/

Go QMail , we use that extensively on linux servers, free and easy

although i am going to get flamed for this, qmail is dead. the official maintainer/author hasn't touched it in years and the license prevents developers from forking it.

if you want to use qmail, you will have to apply a ton of patches from different sources to make it work reasonably well. some things are a bit convoluted and it has issues handling maildir when the queue grows large. people with very active mailservers report random lockups under load.

postfix is secure, efficient and simple. you can literally have postfix up and running within the hour with all the bells and whistles, including spam/virus filtering and whatever else your requirements dictate.

popa3d's only issue is lack of virtual user support, but it is incredibly simple, demonstrably secure and requires 0 configuration. it has worked very well for us for ages.

both postfix and popa3d have been written by well-known secuiryt researchers, vietse venema for postfix (the guy who gave us tcpwrappers) and solar designer for popa3d (the guy who gave us openwall).

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

I like postfix. Also courier-imap comes with it's own POP3 server - kill two birds with the one stone.

http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/courierimap.html

The good choices will be Qmail, Postfix, Exim or Sendmail