Gmail wings are clipped ?

http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/ca060104.cfm

CA Senate Passes Bill Limiting Gmail

June 1, 2004 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- The California state Senate approved a bill last Thursday that places restrictions on email providers seeking to scan their customers' messages for the purpose of advertising, according to a report in silicon.com.

Senator Liz Figueroa, the bill's author, said the legislation, which targets Google's (google.com) recently announced Gmail service, would guarantee that email communications remain private

Another report
    http://google.weblogsinc.com/entry/2487273384983584/

Now they will probably bombard everyone with spam (uugghh) -- No way to win

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by The Dude
    Now they will probably bombard everyone with spam (uugghh) -- No way to win

The Dude
    what the hell are you talking about? you saw the word "email" and the rest you just skipped?
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

What makes me wonder, if the senator is SOOOO worried about privacy why don't they go fight the Patriot Act rather than worry about a friggen free email service..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I think he meant Google will just bombard everyone with spam...

Personally, I don't like that Liz Figueroa one bit... If she doesn't want her email to be scanned, don't use GMail; there are tons of alternatives out there... who the f#(k cares?

Originally posted by Trifolic
    What makes me wonder, if the senator is SOOOO worried about privacy why don't they go fight the Patriot Act rather than worry about a friggen free email service..
    Well, I belive the argument is this:

If a company (let's say a webhost for example) is emailing their client, google would display advertisements for other webhosting companies (competitors) which could possibly hurt the company that's doing the emailings.

Any ideas how google could potentially solve this problem?
    [COLOR=dark-blue]Matt Carpenter[/COLOR]
    Offer your clients a brandable FTP upload utility

Some things will remain a mystery

Originally posted by Trifolic
    I am back....

Originally posted by Alfarin
    I think he meant Google will just bombard everyone with spam...

Personally, I don't like that Liz Figueroa one bit... If she doesn't want her email to be scanned, don't use GMail; there are tons of alternatives out there... who the f#(k cares?

she is probably sore because they didnt give her an gmail account

Why cant they just get some big corporate sponsor to advertise in Gmails. Probably this is a turn around for the comeback of the good old banner ads.

All google has to do is move out of the country.
    Brandon Davis
    BD Design & Consulting of Austin - Website & Graphic Design, Hosting & More
    http://www.brandondavis.us

Originally posted by NIS_Brandon
    All google has to do is move out of the country.
    Not such an easy task when you have 10k servers spread across several datacenters..

According to Craig Nevill-Manning, Google's senior research scientist and CASCON's keynote speaker, the search engine firm stockpiles approximately 10,000 servers to keep its business running. They're cheap servers, Nevill-Manning said -- the kind of unlabelled, commodity-type computers that might be purchased by home users.
    And thats from an article written in Aug of 2003.. I'm guessing they have more now

but they could at least threaten to move there buissness out of the country, thinkin about it makes me wounder what the threat of loosing that level of workers and maybe buissness to american contractors
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Just create a new subsidiary of Google, Inc. somewhere abroad which will run GMail. Should solve the problem.

That also works.
    Brandon Davis
    BD Design & Consulting of Austin - Website & Graphic Design, Hosting & More
    http://www.brandondavis.us

hay...

anyone wants to start a gmail service

some laws are just stupid
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

For some reason, government and technology don't mix well.

Originally posted by silock
    For some reason, government and technology don't mix well.
    i would have to strongly agree with this.

honestly i dont see why they are trying to prevent it. Most Internet users that know about Gmail already know about them scanning email and posting Ads. The only problem i do see about this is the fact that they could be hurting a companies business by advertising their competition in a email communication with a client.

thanks
    - James

Originally posted by Subhadip
    Just create a new subsidiary of Google, Inc. somewhere abroad which will run GMail. Should solve the problem.

Maybe Google foresight: they already have a center in Bangalore City, India.

Senate bill 1822, introduced in California in February, would prevent Google from scanning email messages for content without the consent of both recipient and sender.
    what if google makes the recipient agree via a checkbox

don't know about the sender though !

maybe he will receive an confirmation (with of course a checkbox ) when he first tries to send an email to a gmail user the first time !
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    https://www.chrisranjana.com/
    Php laravel developers, Node Python developers,
    AWS Certified | Python developers | Nodejs Developers | Devops

Originally posted by LanceCoder
    Well, I belive the argument is this:

If a company (let's say a webhost for example) is emailing their client, google would display advertisements for other webhosting companies (competitors) which could possibly hurt the company that's doing the emailings.

Any ideas how google could potentially solve this problem?

When everyone reads an email on hotmail, it's surrounded by ads also.

I got one once from a female real estate agent, doing her best to look professional, reliable, trustworthy, inspire confidence... and next to her pic the whole length of the page... was the ad to find a date, with pictures of 3 more attractive women and the caption was "Someone wants to date you"

It's clear *consciously* that the agent wasn't the 4th in the list "who wants to date me". But does it really help her image to be associated subsconsiously like that? No.

It's all a mess.

I haven't dug into the gmail thing beyond the 4 bullet points on their webpage, but if that is "it", I'm surprised the google gang didn't come up with something more creative. Especially considering how flawed email is.

Maybe there's much more under the hood and/or planned they aren't talking about, yet.

If google blows it by blatently undermining the sender... some senders will simply not accept gmail addresses.. similar to how some don't accept hotmail, yahoo, and other free email.
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site