Question Using other extensions ... is it worth it?

Need some other opinions ...

If you have a great idea for a site - with the PERFECT name and everything - but the .com and .net extensions are already taken (and the owners refuse to sell them) - is it worth starting a site with a .us, .tv, or .info extension?? Financially I mean ...

I want my site to be big and very popular and I want to be able to promote the site using a lot of word-of-mouth initially. The problem is - it seems that most "everyday people" immediately assume that ALL sites end with .com, .net or .org. So, I'm thinking that I'll have to advertise ten times as hard ($$$) - just to get people to remember that it's NOT a .com or .net site!!

Are there any big company success stories that started with just a .us, .tv or .info extension - and no radio, tv, magazine or billboard advertising to help?

(Oh ... and, by the way - the owners of the .com and .net extensions of the domain name I want to use do not have sites up. They just don't want to sell the names for what I'm offering. )

whois.sc one of the best whois on net and it's not a dot com
    eNom very discounted reseller / retail accounts (Click here )

Rare 2 , 3 char / letter domains for sale ( Click here )

depends on the name and what its going to be run from.

for example .tv .fm .am .dj could be nice falling into their category like mbc.tv cnn.tv 997.fm etc.. DJname.dj

but the .com really rules and very easy to remember

might want to look into .biz also as an option.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Overall the rule is "If it's not a dot com it's dot crap"

It doesn't matter what extension you have. Somewhere down the line a user will by default type ".com" and they will be going to the wrong site. Heck, I even think you as the owner will make that mistake a few times.
    But when a customer does it, it results in a loss sale.

Not every domain name needs to be perfect. Yahoo and Google didn't make any sense at all when people first saw them.

Okay ...
    So, Bashar, if I'm understanding you correctly - you're saying that it all depends on if the extension compliments the name. Such as -

venturecapital.biz
    stockquotes.biz

businesslaw.info
    localschools.info

travelguide.us
    census.us

parishilton.name
    identity.name

reality.tv
    pbs.tv

In those cases above, it would work out fine - but, .COM is still what will come to people's minds first, so, they might go to the wrong site a few times ....

'Makes sense.

Tiggee, good point and great quote.

I'm betting that the creators of Google, Amazon, and Yahoo had a little nest egg of venture capital to get their name out there in the beginning - or at least a couple of investors - so that they could promote their crazy names ...

Still, I may have to come up with another PERFECT .com name afterall.

yeah your own .com BRAND name
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

>>> Overall the rule is "If it's not a dot com it's dot crap"

That's a good one )):

There was a HUGE data center that just renamed itself .... when you typed their domain with a .com ending rather than a .net you'd go to some Hawaiian vacation site. I liked ending up there sometimes. But indeed, especially if the .com site belongs to the competition, don't even think aboutr it.

I agree, rethink your name if you cannot get a .com/.net/.org. Especially if you are going to be online only.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

if you really want to be big and not lose traffic -- .com.

Branding an alternative extension will be more work, and branding a .com is hard enough these days. Don't trouble yourself with trying to emphasize that it is .US (look at me... I run a .us site hehe). If you are going to be mainly getting traffic from links/search engines then it really doesn't matter originally... but if people ever want to come back, you may lose repeat visitors because of the extension.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance