Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bchosting.com are they good?

I just came across them and they seem like the only affordable dedicated server company in Canada (especially Vancouver,BC).

Has anyone heard good things about them, or better yet, have you ahd experience?

As an aside, I read a post about someone complaining his server was down, and apparently he said the person who answered the phone, was from data-fortress.com and claimed they had bought BCHosting after they didn't pay their bandwidth bill? That whole story sounds kind of strange, but can someone confirm this did or didn't happen?

Their website also states, they are a wholly owned subsidiary of AssertiveNetworks so I hope we can get to the bottom of this. Maybe it will turn out, it is just a bitter competitor making a fake post (in regards to the above paragraph).

Thanks everyone

Never used them, but they seem pretty cool and its not often you can find a cool provider in the exact city you're looking for

I seriously doubt anyone bought them out. Maybe four years ago I had talked to someone there, and then again a month or two ago the guy remembered me from back then

Can anyone else contribute any information?

Even if you are an employee or affiliate of the company, it would be good. I'm planning ahead, as I currently have servers elsewhere, but am looking into hosting out of Vancouver.

How good is their bandwidth?

More importantly, how reliable are they and how good is their service in terms of technical and professional ability?

They say they support mission critical applications, can anyone provide some mission-critical sites they run?

It would be great if someone on this forum can provide more information on them. They seem like a great deal, but before I jump I want many unbiased opinions and reports about them.

Thanks again all

You can pick Seattle Westin too if that isn't too far.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I would definitely prefer to stay in Vancouver.

Come on guys, someone must have info or know someone hosting with them .

I am eagerly waiting to get some information on them. It is driving me nuts.

Well I had colo with them for about 3 months I think. At first it was fine. They only used single-homed above.net which was decent. They later added broadwing and were not basing BGP on performance and putting weightings on the broadwing in order to save money. Many of my clients were routing to texas and back that lived in seattle/vancouver that previously had stayed local with above.net. When they wouldn't change it to performance based for me because I was a "little guy" (1 server) I moved to a colo provider in the Westin. I did traces to them now, and the routes seem to be better than when I left, but I didn't appreciate how they treated the "little guy." If you like what they offer, you should be ok, but don't expect them to go above and beyond if you're only going to have a couple servers.

Thanks for the honest and informative answer. Sorry to hear of your experience there.

I'm glad to hear you're having a better experience over at Westin.

Anyone else with experience with them?

How much space/transit do you need anyways?
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Oh, one more thing, their support is pretty bad. It took 3 weeks for them to give me back my server. All debts being paid. Also, their email support is very slow. Usually 24-72 hour response time in my experience. They also have horrid phone support, but if you generally aren't problem prone, then you should be ok. Reboots take a while if i remember correctly and I think they don't work on weekends It's been several months. Things COULD have changed, but this was my experience.

Probably less than 20 gigs of space and maximum few hundred gigs per month.

Do you have a url for Westin?
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    How much space/transit do you need anyways?

Originally posted by Luckmaster
    Oh, one more thing, their support is pretty bad. It took 3 weeks for them to give me back my server. All debts being paid. Also, their email support is very slow. Usually 24-72 hour response time in my experience. They also have horrid phone support, but if you generally aren't problem prone, then you should be ok. Reboots take a while if i remember correctly and I think they don't work on weekends It's been several months. Things COULD have changed, but this was my experience.
    Ouch, that does not sound very good. I don't see how not-working on weekends and taking 24-72 hours for support can possibly be capable of supporting mission-critical applications

Originally posted by stivan
    Probably less than 20 gigs of space and maximum few hundred gigs per month.

Do you have a url for Westin?
    http://www.westinbuilding.com/tenants/ - They have a phone number on that page if you're interested in finding out who has space there.

-Josh

I'm with spry.com right now. I have had zero problems with them so I can't tell you how good their support is, but hey, thats kind of a good thing! I've been with them about 4 months and had zero down time. They are in the westin. I don't think their website shows dedicated servers, but email sales cuz i'm pretty sure they do offer them. I'm doing colocation with them, so I know they dont just offer reseller accounts.

Good to hear Luckmaster.

Anyone else care to share bchosting.com experience?

Well I had colo with them for about 3 months I think. At first it was fine. They only used single-homed above.net which was decent.
    That's incorrect. Our routing policy at the time dictated fair weighting.

They later added broadwing and were not basing BGP on performance and putting weightings on the broadwing in order to save money. Many of my clients were routing to texas and back that lived in seattle/vancouver that previously had stayed local with above.net. When they wouldn't change it to performance based for me because I was a "little guy" (1 server) I moved to a colo provider in the Westin.
    That's correct. Anybody with business acumen will tell you that we did the right thing. Frankly, we'd do it again. Your $40 net per month wasn't worth us paying 30% more to favour above.net.

I did traces to them now, and the routes seem to be better than when I left, but I didn't appreciate how they treated the "little guy." If you like what they offer, you should be ok, but don't expect them to go above and beyond if you're only going to have a couple servers.
    You are being completely and totally unrealistic. You will not find a single provider on this earth that has a clue and will change routing policy for a client that represents less than 0.1% of a company's revenue.

Now you are being slanderous. I had a look back through my email and the shipping took three days from the time we received the funds for shipping.

I also took a look back in our ticketing software. You never once requested a reboot.

Also, we have ALL servers on remote reboot strips and serial console ports.

Rene, if you want to bash us with truths, go ahead. Please do not make stuff up.

Should i furnish the emails requesting a reboot and the actual time they were rebooted? I prefer not to go into specifics and simply provide what they asked.

Oh and by the way, I had asked for the server to be shipped ASAP. After 2 weeks you finally told me how much to pay for shipping.

I'm not lying at all. Maybe I had a bad/rare experience, but it was my experience nevertheless.

In addition to that, you did not ship it the method I had asked.

Originally posted by BChosting
    Now you are being slanderous. I had a look back through my email and the shipping took three days from the time we received the funds for shipping.

I also took a look back in our ticketing software. You never once requested a reboot.

Also, we have ALL servers on remote reboot strips and serial console ports.

Rene, if you want to bash us with truths, go ahead. Please do not make stuff up.
    I was never given access to any remote reboot switch.

Checking back, you cancelled on March 15th. Your server was shipped on March 23rd, once your bandwidth overages were paid and you paid for the shipping, which consequently cost $65 more than you paid.

We have extremely loyal customers, excellent support, excellent customer retention. It's obvious you are bitter about our making business decisions that were not in your best interest. You are making my point my posting so much about something that happened 4 months ago.

Please get your facts straight before you spew.

Originally posted by BChosting
    That's incorrect. Our routing policy at the time dictated fair weighting.

That's correct. Anybody with business acumen will tell you that we did the right thing. Frankly, we'd do it again. Your $40 net per month wasn't worth us paying 30% more to favour above.net.

You are being completely and totally unrealistic. You will not find a single provider on this earth that has a clue and will change routing policy for a client that represents less than 0.1% of a company's revenue.
    Accually, TP/SM has been known on more than one occation to make changes to their routing policy after being requested by only 1 or 2 people.

You may have recorded that I cancelled on the 15th but i requested the cancellation much earlier. You had overcharged me on other things which came out to a $9 balance. I asked you to ship standard ground insured and you shipped air. If you really want me to dig thru my emails and records I will do that.

Stop trying to cover up what happened.

Like I said before, it may be a rare occurance but it's what happened to me. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one who wasn't happy about the bandwidth changes. For a gaming company, ping is everything and I lost about 75% of my customers in that region.

Originally posted by CPUHosting
    Accually, TP/SM has been known on more than one occation to make changes to their routing policy after being requested by only 1 or 2 people.
    EXACTLY. If it's one persons problem, it's everyone's problem. Everyone is going to experience it. I also noticed that one of my competitors that was at bchosting left as well.

Ouch!

I don't usually think it is right to take sides but regardless of the past, the way BCHosting released your name is against Canadian privacy laws! It is also extremely unprofessional of the way they discussed details of your account and did so in a manner that was less than pleasant.

I just received a message from an unnamed person at this company asking if I am looking for colo which I think is against this board's policy. I might have considered it before, but after the way BCHosting has responded to this poor customer, I worry if I don't have many servers at this company and account for "0.1% of revenue" I can expect a similar attitude (when I try a company I only have 1 server there because every company needs to prove itself capable at least to my business, of providing necessary levels of service).

Thanks, all of you for helping me make my decision. I am in no way associated with any BCHosting competition, but I can honestly say I am rather shocked and disgusted in the manner a former customer is even being treated.

Certainly these are not forums to bash former customers regardless of the past relationship or experience, especialy when no wrongdoing of the customer has been proven!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast