* fedora or redhat 9

Hi,
    Whats good if one wanna buy a dedicated server....
    Fedora or Redhat 9

why many prefer redhat 9 even thought they say updates will not be r provided...

whats the difference in terms of performance n usability

whats the best choice for using the server for reseller hosting and why...

i prefure fedora as you know redhat is not releasing updates, fedora is going to release updates, i would rather go with a operating system that has updates getting made! All my dedicated servers are on fedora and i dont have a problem.
    ISN Networks Inc
    ♦ Shared Hosting ♦ Reseller Hosting ♦ Dedicated Servers ♦
    ♦ www.isnnetworks.net ♦ [email protected]

Theortically speaking, Redhat 9 has been on the block for over a year and has been deemed to be stable as it is while Fedora is supposed to be perpetual bleeding edge. Although Fedora is quite stable, it has a very short EOL lifespan. Unofficially it might be the testing ground to launching the Redhat Enterprise new versions.

Personally, I would opt for using Redhat 9 instead of Fedora because I believe my customers are too valuable to host them on beta OS.

Although official support for Redhat 9 has expired, you can still get support through Fedora Legacy updates and through the paid service of Progeny.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I would go with Fedora. The EOL supposedly on Fedora is short but if you read it will have a 2 year or better lifespan per release.

Also, it basically is the same as RHE in many aspects and is completely stable as far as I have ever seen. Actually, in some aspects it has been deemed more stable than RHE.

Go with RH 9. Like mentioned earlier, Fedora Legacy will keep pushing updates out for it and there are other individual groups that do the same as well, without the need to subscribe to Progeny.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Redhat 9 with Fedora Legacy updates. You should be set for a while.

From point of view bothtyh sucks :-)
    go with Debian or FreeBSD 5.x simply better :-)

If you are really looking for a long support timeframe, you can either go with -

- Redhat 9 + Legacy Updates - www.fedoralegacy.com

- RHEL derivatives - WhiteBox EL, CentOS 3.1, TAO Linux, etc
    ::. www.diginode.net : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
    ::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
    ::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
    ::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::

Errr, the Fedora Legacy site should be http://www.fedoralegacy.org/ and not http://www.fedoralegacy.com

You only go with Debian or FreeBSD if you know those OS. For someone who do not know anything about them, it is as good as being dead in the waters.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I second that

Originally posted by abnormis
    Redhat 9 with Fedora Legacy updates. You should be set for a while.
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

Yes, www.fedoralegacy.org . Sorry about that..

Originally posted by diginode
    If you are really looking for a long support timeframe, you can either go with -

- Redhat 9 + Legacy Updates - www.fedoralegacy.com

- RHEL derivatives - WhiteBox EL, CentOS 3.1, TAO Linux, etc
    ::. www.diginode.net : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
    ::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
    ::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
    ::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::

Get redhat 9 and upgrade to centos, its based of rhe and its free.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance