Arrow looking for a price range to host a site

lets say i have a site that have 1000 uniques per day and 300 of them upload their picture to my site/directory, how much space and bandwidth, will i need and the price? just asking not looking for one

Hmm its really hard to say, if they are unique hits and 300 of them upload each day, that could call for alot of space/bandwidth depending on what they upload. How large are the pictures? if they are around 50k in size (pictures of their self?) you can probably look at around 4.5 GB of space & bandwidth just for the uploads, then add how much web site images (the design) and any other types of media (forums, flash etc).

Hope that helps,
    - Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

Originally posted by sirgamesalot
    Hmm its really hard to say, if they are unique hits and 300 of them upload each day, that could call for alot of space/bandwidth depending on what they upload. How large are the pictures? if they are around 50k in size (pictures of their self?) you can probably look at around 4.5 GB of space & bandwidth just for the uploads, then add how much web site images (the design) and any other types of media (forums, flash etc).

Hope that helps,
    - Eddy
    Couldnt have said it better myself. From the sounds of things, you have one of those websites that can extremely large, really fast.

the picture size will be the same as imagestation not big, regular webcam size pictures and probably one 800x600 layout for each person. forum i will be thinking about that later, just want to have it simple. the picture size would be less than 70k and the layout maybe 200k or less

Well, I gues you could probably start out with a $5 - $10 a month package, which should get you around 4 - 12 GBs of bandwidth, and some were between 150 - 600 MBs of diskspace.

That would probably be a good place to start, then if you end up needing more, you would be able to upgrade your package. Or atleast I believe most hosts will do mid month upgrades, and so forth.

make sure to get at least 10GB of bandwidth to start with, for a 1000 Uniques and 300 pic uploads.

thanks for the help guys

By my likely inaccurate calculations you will need 635.7422 megabytes of storage after one month and 7.30991 gigabytes of storage after one year. That is just for the user pictures.

maybe after a year, you could move to Dedicated Server..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

How about hosts like midphase.com?
    New site: www.talkutas.com

make sure to get at least 10GB of bandwidth to start with, for a 1000 Uniques and 300 pic uploads
    I think all these you will be able to get for less than $8/month

50 kb x 300 users = 15 000 kb x 30 days = 450 000kb / 1024 = 439 Megabytes of space. If you had this many users uploading a picture every month your space would certainly be used up quickly.

You will definately need to look for an account with lots of storage space in addition to bandwidth.

Originally posted by Reality Hosting
    50 kb x 300 users = 15 000 kb x 30 days = 450 000kb / 1024 = 439 Megabytes of space. If you had this many users uploading a picture every month your space would certainly be used up quickly.

You will definately need to look for an account with lots of storage space in addition to bandwidth.

very correct indeed

set a budget and start a looking for hosting provider that have been around for a quite time...

Yes, it seems that the needs will be low at first but they'll grow significantly in a relative short time. Look for scalability.

i will start looking around for hosting companies that have been on the web for a long time. any suggestions of some b4 i start looking for one?

Go to this site. http://www.webhostinginspector.com/index.php?from=1 .It shows the highest rated companies Web Hosting. Don't know how long they have been around for though.
    Andrew - Aparix Hosting
    Aparix.com
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    AIM: AparixAndrew

There are no "highest rated hosts" nor "best hosts". 99.9% of "top hosts lists" are commission based rankings basically. It's no wonder for me that all the companies listed at webhostinginspector have affiliate programs. Do a thorough research on any host you consider and you should be fine.