Starting a web / server hosting business

I am a 'newbie' when it comes to web hosting, I know barely anything about it, are there any sites that offer information related to it, something that could define different terms, and provide tips, info, etc. other than here?

Anyways, i'll get down to the point. I am very skilled in computers, I am about to graduate highschool, and I want to take my skills to the next level, and turn them into profit. I have many ideas, but all of them would require some form of hosting, web hosting, dedicated server hosting (for games), etc. I have been looking over the different kind of servers, what would I need to get started? I want to be able to host about 10 different sites at first and then eventually upgrade to more, but I want to be able to host around 10 dedicated gaming servers and ventrilo/team speak also on the same host, is this possible? Maybe a reseller program?

If you could list any sites or prices that offer this, that would be great. I want to start it some time in the mid-summer, so a rough estimate of the price would be very nice. Monthly, yearly, etc

To be more specific each hosted domain would have around 1GB space, i'm not exactly sure how much bandwith I would need, but after the business gets going, I will have a parent company that offers different hosting services like mentioned above, plus i'm going to have a partner company for an interactive gaming ladder, which could possibly get over 1,000 - 5,000+ views daily. I would need a good control panel, maybe someone who offers helm, email accounts, forwarding, etc. All the basics. I would probably need a ton of bandwith for the gaming servers, voice communication, and webhosting.

Please leave any info at all, any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Supreme

Same shoes....

I am sort of in the same predicament as you...but I have no means of learning programming or gaming (Although, I love a handful).

I am planning on using Serverbeach. Since they are one of the few that offer 2000 GB of bandwidth at an afforable price. Some tell me I need a unix person handy. Others say nay. I have been using Plesk and I am disliking it more and more as time passes. Ensim Pro seems better suited for me to start a hosting business with. I have about 15 clients to start with that I think may help me break even till I acquire more hosting accounts. But total automation is what I am after so, that I can work full time and do little maintenance till it becomes profitable then, I will tend to it full time in the future. My clientele is small but unique and getting new accounts wont be a problem.

It all takes time guys read through the Web and learn. I was on the internet learning for a year until i started my WebHosting.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

So, do tell. What are your thoughts on what is available these days like Control Panels and stuff. Do you think one needs a Unix person handy for server maintenance? Or do you think maintenance can be done through the control panel? And the other support issues can be done through the hosting company support?

Any idea where to begin? I've been looking over these forums and theres not too much information on actually starting a business, I see people making offers and I see people like me, asking un-answered questions.

You have 3 options

1. You provide the *nix support
    2. You rent fully managed servers
    3. You outsource the management to a 3rd party

No. 1 you'll have to determine your competency, but you'd need to be able to build custom kernels and compile common *nix software packages AND know why you're making the changes

No. 2 & 3 will cost you more, but are a good option if you can't manage a *nix box

Option 4

Buy what you want and hope it doesn't go down, if you do, I'd not tell your customers as they'd most probably run away quite fast and you're quite likely to be hacked :-)

Same also applies for a Windows based server as well.

Well it all takes time.
    giomatrix, You would need a Unix/Linux person handy for server maintenance unless you know the operating system well. cPanel is the number one control panel for hosting company's at the moment. Although if you want a user-friendly control panel i'd use Direct Admin.

Supreme, I've started out making a Free Hosting business http://www.xplosiv-hosting.com in my opinion it's the best place to start doing free hosting.

I'd probably start out with option #2, do you know of any reliable companies that offer good support & a decent monthly, if possible even yearly price?

rackley - I have many business ideas how to start out, but I don't just want this to be a hobby. Offering free/sponsored webhosting to a few customers would be a great idea to get a business started, but who should I rent from, I want to be able to support my own companies domain, and several others, but the main profit would be coming from dedicated gaming server & voice communication rentals, I'm looking for a company to offer me this right now, someone with good support and a fair price.
    Last edited by Supreme; 06-01-2004 at 05:13 PM.

True. I have used Rackspace. They provide Level 2 or 3 support (dont remember) and they do wonderfully in the support area. Serverbeach is founded by the some of the same people just lower end support so they use Tickets...no phone support. (They outsource the support)

rackley, define server maintenance. Just curious. Cleaning out the log files? Patching? Rebooting? Do tell. (in laymans terms if you can)

Well i've bought my server from ev1servers.net but you might not want to go that far. http://frostyhost.com/reseller.php i would suggest using the 'WEBHOST' package to start of your hosting. If you need more help just Message on msn at: darren@xplosiv-hosting.com

Rackley, your insight is helpful. Thanks for your patience. I guess you haven't forgotten where you came from. :-)

:-) No problem i love to help i was like this at first to,
    Server Maintence is making sure there is no security holes in the System and making sure everything is up-to date. Re-booting and Cleaning log files can be done through the Control Panel it-self. If you have root access that is.

Yes, thank you, you've been very helpful!

What are your opinions on ev1servers? Bare with me please, but this is fully managed right? How fast & friendly is their support?

They are good! Fast and friendly support. Nothing ever goes wrong with the Server's you have with them. Fully Managed, in my opinion you can't go wrong with them they are great company

How fast is their connection, i've been browsing the site and haven't been able to find it. i.e. T3, OC-42, etc.

100Mbps which is very fast indeed. Check out my site, http://www.xplosiv-hosting.com - Loads quick right? that's an EV1server right there.

Oh, I miss Rackspace support before I went to Serverbeach. I cannot find anyone that beats 2000GB of transfer per month for the price.

But then it is unlikely the server could cope with providing 2000GB bandwidth.

It is just a marketing ploy they are completely overselling their bandwidth. ServerBeach even admit it on their website.

Don't just look at bandwidth look at the whole package.
    Andy
    Resell SSL Certificates - API / WHMCS / HostBill / ClientExec
    Servertastic - RapidSSL, Geotrust, Thawte, Symantec, SmarterTools and more

Oh, I know, I know. I just went to Serverbeach for the monthly reduced rate compared to Rackspace. I have a lot of clients with a lot of media on the server so, the bandwidth issue was covered. I charge my clients bandwidth overage, but I never ever have to worry about bandwidth overage with Serverbeach.

Question is: Is it possible to transfer 100 GB and keep the server load under 1.0?

Originally posted by rackley
    They are good! Fast and friendly support. Nothing ever goes wrong with the Server's you have with them. Fully Managed, in my opinion you can't go wrong with them they are great company
    EV1SERVERS are indeed a good company but they are not fully managed - the only official support options on things that go wrong with everything other than hardware is a server restore.