Thread: Subdomains

Subdomains

Can anyone help me out here? I recently made my own server using Windows 2003 Server and I have IIS 6 running on it. I used zoneedit.com for my DNS hosting and I got my domain name from godaddy.com. I would like to know how to set up subdomains. I have tried emailing godaddy, and they gave me some crap dealing with things that I didn't ask. So can anyone here, in their wise wisdom, help a lowly webmaster like myself?

By the way, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it seemed logical, since I have a dedicated web server. The admin here can move if they so desire.

As far as subdomains are concerned, it should not affect the domain name registrar and in your case that would be godaddy.com .

On your IIS manager, just add the subdomain as if it is a full fledge account. The only difference is that it has a full qualifying subdomain address such as subdomain.yoursite.com .

In Zoneedit.com where your dns hosting is at, you will need to create an 'A' record to point the subdomain to the IP address the subdomain is assigned to.

That should do the trick.

Just treat it as how you will handle a full domain site and you do fine.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Thank you so much.... But I have one more question.

I got all that up and running, and Zoneedit tells me that my nameservers have changed. Should I change them at godaddy? And should I change them for my main domain name, too? And should I make a new entry for my subdomain?

Also, I since I am running a personal web server, I had to configure another port to run the subdomain out of. How do I set up the IP so that it forwards to that port? Should it just be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port?

Again, sorry to keep bombarding everyone with questions, but I am new to this, and still don't know all that much about it.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by DrWingnutPhD; 06-01-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Originally posted by DrWingnutPhD
    Thank you so much.... But I have one more question.

I got all that up and running, and Zoneedit tells me that my nameservers have changed. Should I change them at godaddy? And should I change them for my main domain name, too? And should I make a new entry for my subdomain?

Also, I since I am running a personal web server, I had to configure another port to run the subdomain out of. How do I set up the IP so that it forwards to that port? Should it just be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port?
    The name servers on file with Godaddy must be in sync with what Zoneedit says are the name servers to use, so yes. Making changes in Zoneedit won't do anything unless Godaddy knows where those servers are.

Why do you have to use a seperate port for the subdomain?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

It won't let me host out of the same port on IIS. I followed the advice of eddy2099 and created a new web site on IIS. Did I do something wrong? Should I have created the subdomain as a sub-branch in IIS?

I had to host out of a different port because my main domain is out of the original port.

You can share IP with IIS but it can only use one port at a time by default.

Are you running both IIS and PWS on the same machine or just IIS ?
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I don't know what PWS is. I think I have it figured out, but I can't get the subdomain working. I had to use host headers, and I pointed one to the main domain and the other to the subdomain, except when I try to go to the subdomain, it comes up with an error. But, when I take the host headers off of the subdomain, and go to it using the IP address followed by the port, it works, so I know the directory and paths are correct.

I guess I'm trying to ask something like this: I have 2 web sites created on IIS, both are set up correctly, and the main one works. It is out of the default port. I have another site set up, coming out of another port, and I know it works because if I visit it using the IP address, it works. I've got some of the host header working (on the main domain) but I can't figure out how to tie the subdomain to the main domain. Do I give them the same host header? Or do I give them the different one and point it to the subdomain?

Cancel that.... I solved my own problem. Your last post made me think. It turns out that I don't have to use different ports. I changed the subdomains port to the default and now it works.

Thank you all very much for you help.

Haa haa. Well, PWS or Personal Web Server actually was a scaled down web server which was distributed with Windows 95/98 and I believe it might come with some other OS too. Sorry for the confusion.