How do I find out what are my sites' keywords?

As I'm not a SEO and I didn't create my own site, I want to find out what are the main 4-5 keywords my site is using.

Is there any software or online tool that can help me find out what those keywords are?

I would like to do some SEO in the near future...

Thanks for the help
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

If you are using IE:

At the top toolbar go to: View > Source

You will find the keywords between the following:

<META Name="Keywords" Content=" Keywords here ">

Thank you

I was thinking more about what keywords are indexed by search engines, rather than looking in my sites' source

And to that matter, what is the positioning of the the site for that certain keywords

Nevertheless, thanks for replying
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Look in the <head> section if you don't know HTML.

Ok, to make this more clear: I know HTML, I know what the keywords in the<META Name="Keywords"... are, but I was asking WHICH are the competitive keywords that are indexed by search engines.

So, as an example, when you search "Minyo" on google, my site is #1.

My aim is to appear on a top position for "brand, branding" etc.

So what I basicly ask for is to find out what are the keywords INDEXED and their positioning in SEARCH ENGINES.

Maybe I'm asking this completely wrong....
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Sorry about that, I was confused. I am sure there is a useful site to do exactly what you are talking about, but I can't remember the URL. Maybe someone else will be able to help you out better.

http://www.instantposition.com/index.html

You can try that web site, it has a lot of SEO information.

Originally posted by Lorand M
    Ok, to make this more clear: I know HTML, I know what the keywords in the<META Name="Keywords"... are, but I was asking WHICH are the competitive keywords that are indexed by search engines.

So, as an example, when you search "Minyo" on google, my site is #1.

My aim is to appear on a top position for "brand, branding" etc.

So what I basicly ask for is to find out what are the keywords INDEXED and their positioning in SEARCH ENGINES.

Hi,

The problem is if you use more common keywords like "brand and branding" the more number of sites will come up in the search results. That is the reason Google uses more than content keywords to analyse the site. In effect if there are several sites with the similar keywords then the ranking will be given priority to sites with more page votes from links from other sites and also the integrity of your site content with the keywords is analysed. Next importance will be given to key phrases in your content so just placing random key words hoping to be noticed by the search engine is futile.

The real issue arises in users not specifying correct search queries. Secondly users do not often think of analysing the search results. For example if someone makes a search using the word 'branding' then your site is not likely to show up in the first page. But if the search query also contains more refined keywords which your visitors are likely to use then the chances improve. So the best advice is to find those words and phrases that your customers/visitors are most likely to use in the search query.

So there is no real static positioning for specific keywords. Specific positioning is given in paid for position bidding of keywords. But in search engines like Google the positioning of your site depends on the keywords and content you use. You should also give importance to keywords in the content in the inside pages, as well as a proper navigation menu links. Page title should also properly describe your site so instead of just Minyo.biz it is better to use a phrase like Brands and Brand development by Minyo.

If you think your geographical area is a likely search word then include that also in the content. If your business caters to specific category of customer like "corporate branding" then include that phrase also. You are the best judge of what key words should be used in your website guaging by what key words your visitors and customers are likely to use in their search query. Lastly to improve the position your site should be linked up from other site and it will improve even more as more visits [page votes] occur from these links.

That helps a bit, thanks, but still looking...
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Maybe I'm asking this completely wrong....
    Well, it sounds like you have a misunderstanding about how search engines work.

Essentially all of the text on your site is indexed by search engines. Search engines don't decide what "your keywords" are; it's up to you to do that.

Pick a unique phrase from your site. For example, here's one that's even more unique that it would be because it contains a typo : "everdeveloping and standardized." Search for that phrase on Google, and surprise! You're number one. So, is it one of "your keywords?" Google has indexed and ranked you for it, so using the definition that you seem to be using in your question, it is. But the point is that Google has indexed everything on the site, and ranks dynamically when a query is made.

So you have to approach it from the other direction. Decide what search queries are important for you. Search on them to see how you rank for them (and of course if they don't already appear on the site, you won't be ranked at all). For those for which you don't rank where you want to, you have to make changes to your site that will improve those rankings -- or decide to let them go and focus on other searches.

That's the essence of SEO -- identifying the keyword phrases worth competing for (balancing the competitiveness of the term and whether you actually have a chance against that competition against the number of searches actually made for the term and whether it's worth working for), and making the appropriate on- and off-page adjustments for them.

Since you're asking the question, I'd assume that someone else built the site for you and you don't know whether that's been done or what keywords the site focuses on. From a quick look around it, though, I'd answer that it's not focused on any keywords at all. None of the basic elements of SEO are in place; if there's any phrase at all for which it is optimized, it's the not very useful "minyo biz."
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by RajanUrs
    your site should be linked up from other site and it will improve even more as more visits [page votes] occur from these links.
    "Page votes" are simply links, not visits. That is, that phrase is closely linked to Google's concept of PageRank, where a site linking to another is seen as "voting" for it in their view of "the uniquely democratic nature of the web."

That is, how many "visits occur from these links" doesn't matter at all to search engines (while it certainly matters otherwise), they're not even aware of it. What matters is that the links exist and are indexed.

Now that was really helpfull, thanks for the info JayC, it's much appreciated.
    I'll look for a few SEO guys arround and get the work properly done.

Thank you again for the help. I owe you a beer
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

JayC, thanks for pointing out the mistake

Re: How do I find out what are my sites' keywords?

As I'm not a SEO and I didn't create my own site, I want to find out what are the main 4-5 keywords my site is using.

Is there any software or online tool that can help me find out what those keywords are?

I would like to do some SEO in the near future...

Thanks for the help
    Here are some usefull tools for your needs

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=279432

Thank you for that, it was really the exact thing I was looking for. I appreciate it. I owe you a beer

15 brand 13.39%
    11 branding 9.82%
    11 identity 9.82%

Doesn't seem to be good... I need some SEO fast
    Last edited by lorandm; 06-02-2004 at 04:20 AM.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Thank you for that, it was really the exact thing I was looking for. I appreciate it. I owe you a beer

15 brand 13.39%
    11 branding 9.82%
    11 identity 9.82%

i owe one for you. cheers

Nevertheless, it seems that my main keywords are still leading

Where are you from Anarchist? I just might send you a six-pack
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

15 brand 13.39%
    11 branding 9.82%
    11 identity 9.82%

Well... you do. But not because of those numbers, which really don't tell you much of value.

I suppose it's an interesting thing to look at as a matter of curiousity, but keyword density is so far down the list of optimization elements today that tinkering with that isn't going to change a thing. In fact, we don't even look at it (the exact ratio called "keyword density") any more with most of the sites we optimize; taking instead the approach of making sure that the targeted words appear "enough" in the body text, while also assuring that the copy still reads well for the human visitor. Placement of keyword terms in other elements is far more important. Also important right now is placement of related terms in the body text.

That said, it's very likely that those aren't really the words you want to target. In most cases targeting single-word terms isn't the way to go -- for a couple of reasons: most searchers use two- or three- word phrases, and the number of pages you'll be competing with will be much smaller if you're targeting phrases instead of single words.