* FreeBSD vs. Linux Performance

Are there any differences in a FreeBSD and a Linux server?

Wich one do you prefer and WHY?

I prefer FreeBSD because of the ports system.

I use both FreeBSD and Debian GNU/Linux for my personal machines. Each has their advantages. The ports system is easily replaced by a good package management system like apt.

With the 2.6 kernel, Linux has significantly shrunk the gap in speed that was noticeable between 2.4 and FreeBSD 4.x

NYC, NY
    there are a load of benchmarks out there.. have a look at this one

It seems to be the most non-biased out there. Pretty much what they say is that Linux on the 2.6 is the best.. but freebsd is the best out of all bsd's and its pretty darn close to 2.6 in performance.

I think it all comes down to what your more comfy using. I prefer Linux since i've been using if for close to 10 years

United Kingdom
    well here, we have a few servers, and a firewall / router machine.

The firewall / router is FreeBSD 4.9
    all the servers behind it are Slackware 9.1

FreeBSD is stable as a rock, then again, i have never had a crash with linux since i've been using it, which is many years now.

I prefer to work on the slackware servers than i do on the freebsd machine.

But then again, if the linux machines wern't slackware i would prefer to work on the freebsd machines.

only reason i prefer the slackware machines is because of the slackware package manager

Major reason im not to keen on many other distros is RPMS

Depending on the linux distro, you get portage, pacman, apt, apt-rpm and a variety of package management tools. I wouldn't be so quick to choose xBSD over Linux because of package management. In fact, in terms of package management, I would argue that many binary based system outclass source based build systems for dependancy resolution, ease of use and selection of software.

IPF and PF are IMHO better than Netfilter/iptables however, that for security, OpenBSD is tops. xBSDs also have a great TCP/IP stack with a proven track record, which is not to say the present networking stack in Linux is not good. xBSD kernels are also more predicatable than Linux. OOM behaviour on Linux really depends on the version you are using. However, newer versions of Linux have a lot to offer (ie. selectable i/o and cpu schedulers).

In the end though, it really is up to what you are comfortable with. There is really nothing stopping you from using tcsh in Linux or bash in FreeBSD, you can customize the systems to be pretty similar in the end.
    ::. : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
    ::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
    ::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
    ::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::

Originally posted by matt2kjones
    The firewall / router is FreeBSD 4.9
    all the servers behind it are Slackware 9.1
    Perfect choice. We are using 2 Slackware 9.1 servers and 1 Slackware 9.0 all running kernel 2.4.26 :-)