Exclamation Windows ME PC Problem *HELP*

Hello I have a friend who has a Emachines PC it has Windows Me Pre-loaded into it..

well yesterday he had me come over because his DSL was not working.. a big storm in chicago had temp DSL problems.. so i was told by an Ameritech Support rep.. to Reboot machine and the DSL modem..

So i reboot both.. and the Pc reboots but after the Emachines screen.. It goes to a black screen with a --- on the top left corner.. it goes away after a small period of time.. but the black screen stays..

The machine boots up in safe mode.. but not in normal mode..

I cannot reformat this machine I need to find a fix without reformating.. he has alot of music that cannot be lost

If anyone can help me find a solution for this please do I'll be for ever greatfull.

has he got a recovery (boot)disk should be able to recover from that.

Nope.. he does not have any cd's left.. he had a flood and all the stuff in the basement was tossed out.. i guess the cd's were in the box

I tryed to do a system restore 2 times.. one for sunday and then one for 1 week back... but still it reboots.. and goes to the black screen... what could cause this ? I really need a fix

thanks!

get KNOPPIX
    download the CD and burn it, then come over to his house.

pop the CD in, and boot from it. (would probably need to change boot order in BIOS to point to CD being first. but thats easy)

viola!
    all his files are now accessible.
    you can make backups then, or transfer to another computer, or upload somewhere.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Lend him some CDs so he can back it up an reformat.

Always take a backup (You know, I should follow the adivce I give out )

Why can't you try re-installing the OS with the same settings on it. It will not corrupt or delete the things. You are just going to overwrite it.

Give a try ! Let me know the result !! Its just a suggestion and not a solution !!!
    Waxdoll
    Quite, Cool & Adjustable, But Dangerous
    I Love Microsoft

In the future ... even if you have one drive separate your important files from your OS install by a partition or putting them on another drive so you never have to worry about loosing them when stupid stuff like this happens.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Why can't you try re-installing the OS with the same settings on it. It will not corrupt or delete the things. You are just going to overwrite it.
    He said his friend has mp3's that cannot be lost.

Unfortunately, the only solution for this problem, assuming you use NTFS, is to boot up Knoppix, which isn't that hard, but requires a 600 mb (?) ISO download. For me that would take 10 minutes, but it also requires some basic motivation.

What is this Knoppix? program.. what does it do? his programs are accessable in safe-mode.. but not when i try to boot up in normal...

I dont have a cd for the Windows ME OS so therefore i cannot try and reset the settings.. Is it possible in safe-mode to do this?

My Pc
    Cat5 cable
    To His PC

I have a shuttle XPC.. so i can come to his house with my pc and transfer his MP3 files onto my HDD then Install Xp or some other kind of OS... Then restore his mp3s... is this possible to do via safe-mode?

also this program you are telling me about.. how will it make his files accessable? does it alow me to boot up into normal mode and go into his files

Originally posted by websterworld
    get KNOPPIX
    download the CD and burn it, then come over to his house.

pop the CD in, and boot from it. (would probably need to change boot order in BIOS to point to CD being first. but thats easy)

viola!
    all his files are now accessible.
    you can make backups then, or transfer to another computer, or upload somewhere.

What is this Knoppix? program.. what does it do? his programs are accessable in safe-mode.. but not when i try to boot up in normal...
    This is a Linux OS that fits on a CD.

I dont have a cd for the Windows ME OS so therefore i cannot try and reset the settings.. Is it possible in safe-mode to do this?

My Pc
    Cat5 cable
    To His PC
    You might need a $10 hub, I'm not sure. I believe Windows ME has "Safe Mode with Networking". Make a new network connection, connect to the hub, and transfer the files.

This actually might be the easiest method... I thought you meant you couldn't access his files, period. But since you can in safe mode, just transfer the files to your HDD.

just reinstall windows ME. he wont lose any files - just the Windows dir etc. is replaced.
    Gone.

I dont have a windows ME cd.. I guess i could *cough* download it *cough*

So if i reinstall windows ME it will only copy the windows dir? does anyone have any kinda.. proof? I know it works for Windows XP. But i just dont wana lose his mp3's

i have a router.. can i use that to connect the PCs? i dont have any hubs laying around.. except a 24port Cisco hub lol. 10baseT

any more info would be great..

also does anyone know what cause's the black screen at start up? It pass's the ME boot screen.. but stays black..

Thanks.

When you boot into Safe Mode try going to Device Manager and removing the Display Adapter present. Reboot and the machine should redetect the video card. Reboot again when prompted and hopefully things will be back to normal.

There are many reasons that a machine shows a black screen at boot up. On Win9x/ME systems I've noticed a video card is usually the culprit.

Failing that, use the Boot log option when starting. Then boot into Safe mode, open C:\BOOTLOG.TXT and you'll probably see the device that's hanging. It should be the last item on the list

If i remove it.. will it see it next time i reboot? because i dont have a driver for the video card... i'm not sure if its onboard or Agp/pci

Originally posted by SethEffectz
    .. Is it possible in safe-mode to do this?

My Pc
    Cat5 cable
    To His PC

It is possible.. and no hub is needed.
    You just need a crossover cat5.
    You can make one out of a reg. cat 5
    Just splice it according to a diagram.. [google for diagram]

I have a CCNA class at school.. so i'll just make a crossover cable at school tomarrow.. does windows me have networking in safe mode?

Originally posted by ilyash
    It is possible.. and no hub is needed.
    You just need a crossover cat5.
    You can make one out of a reg. cat 5
    Just splice it according to a diagram.. [google for diagram]

Originally posted by SethEffectz
    If i remove it.. will it see it next time i reboot? because i dont have a driver for the video card... i'm not sure if its onboard or Agp/pci
    Sometimes. If WinME has a driver built-in for the card it will see it. Otherwise write down the name of the video card as shown under Display Adapters.

The worst-case scenario here would be the machine doesn't detect the video card on reboot, and you're stuck at 640x480x16 for a little while until you download the proper driver. And since you'll have Internet access at this point that shouldn't be a big deal.