ashburn, va - nlayer or btnaccess?

I'm going to get a dedicated server from defender in ashburn equinix but wasn't sure which is a better network, btn or nlayer, any thoughts from customers or people in the area? Also any other companies that have good networks for gaming in equinix asburn?

Thank you

BTN: 205.177.13.1
    nLayer: 69.22.144.129

We have a pair of gaming server boxes with Defender at Ashburn, and they tracert similar to your nLayer test IP.

We've been very happy with Defender and ECGN. I strongly recommend them.

nlayer.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Based on what i've used, i'd say that if the price for nLayer is the same as BTN, stick to nLayer for it is much better value for the quality.

Originally posted by RaineTech
    Based on what i've used, i'd say that if the price for nLayer is the same as BTN, stick to nLayer for it is much better value for the quality.
    Defender has a promo where they're offering BTN at $25/Mbit - nLayer is more expensive.

-Josh

my vote is for nLayer.
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services

Originally posted by Joshua
    Defender has a promo where they're offering BTN at $25/Mbit - nLayer is more expensive.

-Josh
    Why not try and get a high quality mix of the 2 to offset costs and add quality?

I vote nlayer.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Originally posted by RaineTech
    Why not try and get a high quality mix of the 2 to offset costs and add quality?
    I don't think Defender Hosting offers a blend containing BTN and nLayer, I think that BTN is a non-BGPed line for them. I'd recommend nLayer, as I know someone who has space in Equinix Ashburn, VA and uses them (and likes them, too).

-Josh

Just to chime in: We've been with Defender for more than 2 years now and they're excellent.

Just a quick correction though. From my understanding, it's not pure nLayer its a BGP mix of Aleron, nLayer, NAC.Net, Server Central (Level3, MFN, and UUNet/Wcom)

Originally posted by Andrew
    Just to chime in: We've been with Defender for more than 2 years now and they're excellent.

Just a quick correction though. From my understanding, it's not pure nLayer its a BGP mix of Aleron, nLayer, NAC.Net, Server Central (Level3, MFN, and UUNet/Wcom)
    Right - It's not pure nLayer, I see only Aleron in my traces. Pure nLayer in Ashburn has some nice routes, I know somebody who has a few hundred megabits with nLayer there. BTN is generally cheaper & lower cost, but from PHL, I've seen some good routes. Many PHL routes leave to Ashburn, and routes seem nice there too. You'd probably be better with the BGP mix of Aleron, nLayer, etc... for gaming. BGP of good providers usually works better than a single provider (more redundancy too).

- Matt

I'd go with nlayer
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by mainarea
    Right - It's not pure nLayer, I see only Aleron in my traces. Pure nLayer in Ashburn has some nice routes, I know somebody who has a few hundred megabits with nLayer there. BTN is generally cheaper & lower cost, but from PHL, I've seen some good routes. Many PHL routes leave to Ashburn, and routes seem nice there too. You'd probably be better with the BGP mix of Aleron, nLayer, etc... for gaming. BGP of good providers usually works better than a single provider (more redundancy too).

- Matt
    Yep, Defender offers pure nlayer in Chicago, however in Ashburn they offer a mix of L3/GX/NAC/AOL/Verio/nLayer/etc.

rviradia:

I remember using nLayer at Atrivo. I'd recommend against going with them, IMHO. I've heard some scarey stories about them hijacking legacy IP blocks and screwing companies over.
    Their network may be decent, but I don't like how they do business. It's your money though, at least for now.

Originally posted by Khaine
    rviradia:

I remember using nLayer at Atrivo. I'd recommend against going with them, IMHO. I've heard some scarey stories about them hijacking legacy IP blocks and screwing companies over.
    Their network may be decent, but I don't like how they do business. It's your money though, at least for now.
    There was one IP hijacking incident at Atrivo, and one at nLayer. I still recommend nLayer, as nLayer didn't hijack the block themselves, and were just purchasing IPs from somebody who had done the hijacking. The person who they got the IPs from was listed as the block's ARIN contact person, so they didn't suspect anything (according to news articles). They have a good network, and I'd recommend them.

-Josh

BTN, considering the nasty rumors I have heard about nLayer (above and beyond the IP hijacking incident that most of us are aware of by now).