Ready to jump into Colo, how?

Hi

I am getting my 5th servers and thinking to jumo into colo area as it might reduce my overall cost quiet a bit.

I know I have to

1. find a network provider, I am looking at egihosting.com's 10MB He.net offers

What should I care most? he.net is not bad, whatelse?

2. Buy a server such as colomachine.com

Then shall I ask them to deliver serevr to network provider?

3. hire a server admin from http://www.easyservermanagement.com/

Then all done?

quiet confusing here though

Thanks in advance
      0 Not allowed!

I wouldnt pick HE.net ... Do you even need 10Mbps? Just go for something to start you out.. 1Mbps commit with no penalty charges on overages, etc...

Colomachine.com, I believe, has a long lead time.
    Check out RackMountsETC - they have a lower price AFAIK, and turnaround is about 2-3 days.

Hiring a server admin would be a great step! Make sure they take care of all the necessities, otherwise find a managed collocation provider.

I would recommend the latter if you can find one which you can afford, as everything will be dealt with by the same people, same location, who know your hardware and have physical access to it, etc.
      0 Not allowed!

Could you recommend any managed colocation provider please?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

jori,

who we suggest depends on your budget as well as your quality requirements, first and foremost.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters
      0 Not allowed!

DO managed colo provider charge management fees per server ?

Egihosting -10MB -$250/month
    Let us say I have 5 serevrs, so each is 50usd/month + $35 rack fee=85 usd/month/per server

plsu mamagement fees, I am looking at 120-150usd/month per server then...

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

How much transfer are you looking at for each server?

Dont say 1000GB... Be realistic, how much *actual* transfer are you going to push?

You're going to have to stop comparing bottom of the barrel (he.net) to other co-lo hosts as well...

Theres a reason why he.net is so cheap, do you want your customers to find out?
      0 Not allowed!

Now I push 300G/per month /per server and on peak time, each use max 3MB lines, so 10MB for 5 servers seems to be reasonable.

Any good recommendation except for he.net?
      0 Not allowed!

What is your budget? You're going to have to come to realization that you will need to up your resources to get yourself a nice 10Mb...

Id say be ready to pay about $200+ per server if you want burstable transfer by the gigabyte.

Or atleast $500-$700 or so for a good 10Mbps link...plus space costs.

Its the cost of doing business, and doing business the right way.
      0 Not allowed!

HE is not a good idea. also, i would think that the deal is 10 mb/s + 1U and you will need to pay extra for additional space. if you try to push 15 megs on a 10 meg capped link at peak, expect to see 33% packetloss - nothing to write home about.

paul

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Tracert

You're going to have to stop comparing bottom of the barrel (he.net) to other co-lo hosts as well...

Theres a reason why he.net is so cheap, do you want your customers to find out? [/B]
    HE is far from bottom of the barrel. The simple reason EGI is selling HE bandwidth at that ridiculously low price is that they're purchasing gige's for $20k/mth and relying on the fact that most people don't come close to their commit. Try purchasing a small 10Mb commit directly from HE and you'll see precisely what I mean. You definitely won't come anywhere near $25/Mb.

It's also increasingly apparent that there's a small hint of jealousy floating around WHT regarding the lower priced HE resellers. Maybe it's due to the explosive growth many of these resellers are seeing? Just something to think about...
      0 Not allowed!

abnormis - trust me, I dont want to offer services at those prices, and I am far from jealous of HE.net. I dont even resell/provide colocation so your statement has flaws.

I also doubt Rusko really cares about the pricing of HE.net via resellers, as anyone who wants that cheap, wouldnt be welcomed by Rusko I would assume.

BTW, HE is bottom of the barrel, I'd pick Cogent over HE, with Yipes coming a close alternative to HE.net, only thing worse then HE I would say would be Wiltel.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by abnormis
    HE is far from bottom of the barrel. The simple reason EGI is selling HE bandwidth at that ridiculously low price is that they're purchasing gige's for $20k/mth and relying on the fact that most people don't come close to their commit. Try purchasing a small 10Mb commit directly from HE and you'll see precisely what I mean. You definitely won't come anywhere near $25/Mb.

It's also increasingly apparent that there's a small hint of jealousy floating around WHT regarding the lower priced HE resellers. Maybe it's due to the explosive growth many of these resellers are seeing? Just something to think about...
    why should we be jealous of someone whose business model requires 2 to 1 oversubscription to raise the margin on services provided above 0%? if it works for them, great. i am happy for them. suggesting that those who need to sell a 15 Mb/s commit to add the same amount of revenue as HE resellers would by selling a 100 Mb/s commit *and* have much higher margins on that revenue are somehow jealous is nonsense from a business perspective. just something to think about. or re-take business 101.

paul

0 Not allowed!

HE is far from bottom of the barrel.
    you are right, wiltel is bottom of the barrel. and he is mostly wiltel. so it's not *the* worst, woo hoo. something to write home about.

paul

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Tracert
    abnormis - trust me, I dont want to offer services at those prices, and I am far from jealous of HE.net. I dont even resell/provide colocation so your statement has flaws.
    aren't you chris treto from fnap?

I also doubt Rusko really cares about the pricing of HE.net via resellers, as anyone who wants that cheap, wouldnt be welcomed by Rusko I would assume.
    we welcome each and every customer. however, if they want quality, they will have to pay a fair price for it. we do not have an as-cheap-as-it-gets offering.

paul

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rusko
    aren't you chris treto from fnap?

no, im carter and i used to only do some tech work for them but have since left their employment after i moved.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mfjp
    check out ***********.com
    yeah, check *that* out! <g>

p

0 Not allowed!

where do you want to do the colo? what city?
    there are many choices.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rusko
    why should we be jealous of someone whose business model requires 2 to 1 oversubscription to raise the margin on services provided above 0%? if it works for them, great. i am happy for them. suggesting that those who need to sell a 15 Mb/s commit to add the same amount of revenue as HE resellers would by selling a 100 Mb/s commit *and* have much higher margins on that revenue are somehow jealous is nonsense from a business perspective. just something to think about. or re-take business 101.

paul

That business model seems to work fine for Walmart, I suppose they should go back to business 101 as well. I never said anything about a 2-1 oversubscription. EGI purchases bandwidth at $20 Mb and resells at $35 Mb. They're also generating revenue with rackspace, cabinets, deds, streaming media, etc.

Some businesses focus on volume sales, if it works for them great. Judging by the massive growth EGIhosting has seen in the past 6 months, I suspect it's not quite as flawed as you may think.

-Marc
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ackerman
    where do you want to do the colo? what city?
    there are many choices.
    Any of ya'll ever see that movie, "What About Bob?"
      0 Not allowed!

That EGIHosting special is probably limited to one server. Thats how most of these companies do the 10mbps LOWEST PRICING EVER specials, they limit the 10mbps to be used on only one server so basically you won't reach your commit unless your hosting a bunch of streaming or something off your server. I doubt they will let you put 5 servers on that 10mbps special, but if they do, good luck with it.
      0 Not allowed!

abnormis:

I just now realized that you revived a two month old thread
      0 Not allowed!

That business model seems to work fine for Walmart, I suppose they should go back to business 101 as well.
    no, the individual who draws comparisons between a retail business selling goods and a service provider should.

Some businesses focus on volume sales, if it works for them great. Judging by the massive growth EGIhosting has seen in the past 6 months, I suspect it's not quite as flawed as you may think.
    agreed - if it works for them, i wish them all the best with it. on a related note, both growth and revenue are immaterial, net profit is what counts.

paul

0 Not allowed!