Question Loud Sound from Computer.. ?

Hi,

My girlfriend has been complaining of a problem with her computer
    for a while now. When she describes it to me, I can only speculate a few things that could be causing the problem but I don't really understand it for sure or how it could possibly be fixed.

The problem is that her computer's CPU frequently produces a loud and high-pitched sound that generally lasts from 2 to 10 seconds. There is no real pattern for when this sound occurs.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Any ideas of what could be causing it? I guess I should mention that it's quite an outdated computer.

Thanks for the help.

It depends upon the sound, but it could very well be a bad motherboard at this point. I had a bit of a high pitch sound when things went sour with mine about a year ago. We had it narrowed down to a bad fan or board but no one wanted me to touch the computer so we took it to the professionals...needless to say I was correct in the end.

However, I will say that what you are describing only happen for a bit then it eventually did it all of the time and quit working period.

If you're comfortable opening your PC's case, stick a pencil into the CPU fan to block it and listen for the high pitch. Some motherboards emit a high pitch noise when their processors start to overheat. Defective fans were common in the 486 days, but I've seen the same thing on PII and older PIII chips too.

It could be any of the above, but a lot of times something like this just turns out to be speakers that were left on recieving interference, happens to me quite often.