restoring cPanel backups

hello

i downloaded two .tar.gz to my server... they were backuped from another server (both cpanel)
    does anyone know an easy way to recover the datas?
    i can only see cpanel option to recover if I upload the file (in other words, i'd need to download to my home PC and then upload to my server)...

thanks

AFAIK only way to do it.

Ok , so did you create a FULL site backup? if yes, and the file looks anything like this:

backup-x.x.xxxx_xx-xx-xx_username.tar.gz

then use this method.

If you transfered the files already then use this small script:

/scripts/restorepkg username , where you should enter the username of the account to be restored.

NOTE: if you edited the name of the backup file, this feature will not function, since it looks for the username at the end of the backup file name shown in

[[backup-x.x.xxxx_xx-xx-xx_username.tar.gz]]

You get me?

If the backup file name wasnt in that form i showed you, then you should manually untar the .tar.gz by using

tar zxvf filename.

Tell me if you need anything else

it worked

thanks, Aboul_YouseF

Anytime ...

More simple way for cPanel
    they have upgrade the restore solution in WHM

all you need to type is the username in it~

=)

No more hassle of remember the command
    pkgacct
    restorepkg

=)

exactly.

Hey Guys,

I feel like an idiot to post this here but since you are talking abou it I'm going to ask anyways. I too need to restore a full back up on my server. I keep seeing the instructions from everybody to go ahead and run

/scripts/restorepkg username

however, I have no idea how to do that.
    I have no idea what WHT is and no idea wether my server offers it or not.

You don't have to explain it at all, if you can just point to me to a tutorial on how to do this that would be awesome. I'm very new to this.
    Thank you very much for your help and your patience.

SOTO

Do you own the server?

WHT = Webhostingtalk which is the forum you are on.

I think you meant WHM. That's the server management component of Cpanel. If you don't own the server, you are unlikely to have access to the function in question.

If you are on a shared server, contact your host for their help. They can restore for you quickly and easily.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Yes I meant WHM. I do not own the server. Any way that I can run the "/scripts/restorepkg username" script my self?

Thank you,

SOTO

Originally posted by SOTO
    Yes I meant WHM. I do not own the server. Any way that I can run the "/scripts/restorepkg username" script my self?

Thank you,

SOTO
    no
    at least by default, this script can only be run by 'root' (usually the administrator's user)

thank you.

Well, there is another way, you could extract the backup, and upload the folders using FTP, then you could also restore the Databases from the backup, get WinRAR if you dont have it, it will allow you to work with .tar.gz etc...

where do I put the database folder at. when I log in via FTP I don't see any folders for MY SQL

Thank you

No you cant throw in the DB's by FTP, you should log-into PHPmy Admin to do that, and if the databases are huge then thats another problems ...

I recommend just asking your host for help. It's something they can do so easily that if they refuse to help, you need a new host.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

I just did and it's already taken care of.

Thank you guys a bunch!!!

SOTO