Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* AddAction.net - wow, is this real?

www.addaction.net -

Cpanel hosting plan with:

500MB space
    20GB bandwith
    can use up to 5 domains!

6.95$ a month, but thats not all.
    They are having a special with 6 months free... or if I decide to pay annualy its 50$.

Let me say it again, for 50$ a year I get 500MB/20GB/5domains?

I usually laugh my *** of at prices like that and move on. however, look at the site design, nice ain't it? by marengo, a user from here.
    now, I have seen her work its great. so is this site... I'm sure that the owner(s) of AddAction had to spend some money on it.

so, on one hand they seem to be for real.

A search on google finds nothing about them, nothing on a search here...

I do apologize if I seem a bit suspicious here, but those prices are very low, I'm just wondering if they are too low.

can somebody who is hosted with them post please? just for my peace of mind.

THANK YOU
    Last edited by websterworld; 03-28-2004 at 12:13 PM.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
      0 Not allowed!

It would only be a guess, but that style of page is very similiar to a lot of the templatemonster.com layouts.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by borisbaloney
    It would only be a guess, but that style of page is very similiar to a lot of the templatemonster.com layouts.

no, thats a 100% custom great design by marengo. (who I highly respect)

thats one of the reasons that made me pause, and wonder if they are actually for real.

they also offer a lot of flash tutorials fron www.demodemo.com - that costs some money as well.

so they seem to have invested a lot of money in their site, they probably wouldnt do that unless they are serious about their biz.

but the prices are just funny... so I dont know what to think.

so again, can some people who are hosted by them post please?

thanks
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
      0 Not allowed!

They certainly seem to be investing some money, but overselling is overselling.
    They are with servint who definately are not cheap, so I can't see how they would make any profit if their clients were using their full alotments.
      0 Not allowed!

Must be overselling.
    Golden Globe Hosting | It's Time To Get Online.
    www.goldenglobehosting.com
    info@goldenglobehosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks blue, I thought as much... its a shame really, I would have gotten a plan or two with them if they werent so darn cheap.

you'd think that if they are putting in so much money, they'd want to make profit in a smarter way...

*sigh*
      0 Not allowed!

Don't get me wrong Eugene, I'm not saying they don't offer good hosting, I don't have any experience with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I understand that blue.
    However I dont want a host that oversells, no matter how good they seem to be.

even if I'll get 50 people that are hosted by them to post here saying how great they are I wont go with them. (because little do those 50 people know that they are being all cramped togther on one server...)

the prices are just unreal for those kinds of plans, if they succeed in getting a lot of customers it will backfire on them, and they will either go away or drasticly raise their prices to be able to afford more servers.

I just dont want to be a part of that mess.

I'd rather pay 4$ a month more somewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

even sultanhost.com is offering similar kind of prices.. and I have hosted with them without any problem for more than 6 months..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com
      0 Not allowed!

They are quite possibly overselling
      0 Not allowed!

But then again, who doesn't up to a certain point. And how will you know they are overselling, gonna ask them?

Ask for a months free trial, see how it goes.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!
      0 Not allowed!

Well I have had my site hosted with them for the past year and there has been no problems or downtime. Nor have I had any problems with load times.

I have a site with both AddAction and 1&1. I have had a much easier time with AddAction. Even when I hosted a site for a friend who's son was missing. The traffic went from very little (about 40meg a month) to the Gig range (yes I know..still small compaired to others here) with no downtime, nor any concern from AddAction on the bandwith used (for a period of 3 months).

I have only had a couple of problems and they replied to my support request within 3hrs and had the site fixed within an hour after that. Even when I asked a couple of questions from support BEFORE I was hosting with them, I recieved the reply within 3hrs (on a Sunday in the wee hours of the morning).

As far as I can tell they are doing the job they have said they would do and their support has been fairly quick to get back to me.
      0 Not allowed!

The Datacenter and site would indicate they are pretty serious about the quality of the hosting they provide. They also have a $9.95 set up fee for that yearly plan, it always pays to look at the fine print.

As a Special, I could see them selling some of those without having to oversell their servers, depending on the set up fee to help offset the low pricing. They may be gambling on future upgrades from the Special.

Bottom line is they are the only ones that know the bottom line...
      0 Not allowed!

how is 6.95 for only 500mb cheap??
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!
      0 Not allowed!

It is cheap, just with the amount of disk space the price should be doubled and then I'm not even including the 20 GB bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

I never really had many problems with addaction when I was using them. In fact, they were one of the better hosts I had for that price. I just simply outgrew what they were offering.
      0 Not allowed!

sorry, what i meant was that with ppl giving away 2 gig and 100 gigs for 3.00 ....

the site and overall business looked ok to me
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!
      0 Not allowed!

I started out with Addaction, and took advantage of their 6 month free plan. They had good customer service. I started to outgrow them and every once in a while I would have serverload problems in the range of 7-10. In my opinion they were a great host for free 6 months with $9.95 setup fee.

Last I knew if you pay for a year 6 months free, 6 months paid, there is not setup fee.

I think I was with them for a total of 9 months. I have a mostly dynamic site and a forum, I think near the end I might have been taking up a good share of load in mysql.
      0 Not allowed!

I dont know about this, they seem legit, yet they definatly oversell, and not in a small way.

If they can succesfully juggle it however... who knows, they might pull it off.

I guess its my dute as a WHTer to invest 50$ for everybodys sake and see if they are to good to be true.

I'll get a plan in a few weeks, and will write them up in a few months.

cheers

Eugene

I hope its not a big mistake I'm making...
      0 Not allowed!

Back in my shared hosting days, these were the guys that hosted me.

I highly recommend them.

and Yes that plan is real.
      0 Not allowed!

Deleted.
    Last edited by EzHost; 03-28-2004 at 05:19 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Hey websterworld....I see the prices pretty ok and would make money without massive overselling.

The 50% offer works out to $60/yr so that's $5/mo for 500mb, 20 Gb Bandwidth. If there are ~100 accounts per server....the diskspace is NOT even being oversold (500 x 100 = 50gb)

Bandwidth will be 2000Gb....but that's also doable in one of those $200 servermatrix servers.

So, if everyone uses the full amount...the company walks with $300 margin per server.... yes, there are lots of other bills, but they are not losing money per server.

And of course with a bit of overselling thrown in...say 50%...they increase net margin per server to $550. So, the maths is all ok.

They would need outsourced support from developing countries to keep that part low. The HW, BW part is well taken care of in those prices.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by nipl
    Hey websterworld....I see the prices pretty ok and would make money without massive overselling.

The 50% offer works out to $60/yr so that's $5/mo for 500mb, 20 Gb Bandwidth. If there are ~100 accounts per server....the diskspace is NOT even being oversold (500 x 100 = 50gb)

Bandwidth will be 2000Gb....but that's also doable in one of those $200 servermatrix servers.

So, if everyone uses the full amount...the company walks with $300 margin per server.... yes, there are lots of other bills, but they are not losing money per server.

And of course with a bit of overselling thrown in...say 50%...they increase net margin per server to $550. So, the maths is all ok.

They would need outsourced support from developing countries to keep that part low. The HW, BW part is well taken care of in those prices.
    Where exactly does servermatrix offer 2000 GB bandwidth servers?
    http://servermatrix.com/servers.html
    Am I missing something?
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, I use SM and theplanet interchangably. See the totalcontrol range on theplanet.com.... its $249 though....but I remember seeing the same for $199 also...dono where I saw those. Check with BVS (bestvalueservers.com)...they are theplanet/SM resellers and its possible I saw that 2000gb BW in one of their offers.
      0 Not allowed!

If anyone has specific questions about our plans or service let me know or contact our sales department at sales@addaction.net

A search in WHT for addaction should give plenty of posts with praise for our service, like we receive every day from our current customers.

Anton
    Providing YOUR Internet Action!

www.addaction.net
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast