Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Budget. That's the only word you need in this situation. Why go out and pay hundreds to thousands of dollars when the templates are there? How can you blame these people for investing in something that is quite a lot cheaper than what they otherwise would have gone for?

Sure, I do agree that 9/10 to 10/10 times I can spot a TM or related design with ease. I also do think that they are often overused and that's the reason that I stay away from them, but on that same token, I don't think it makes a host any less 'professional' because they use a template (free template sure I can understand) that they paid the money for.

In the end it's the choice of the user of course, but I think it's a bit ironic for companies to knock other companies just because they use a template. Annoying - yes....demonstrating a lack of creativity - yes....unprofessional - no.

I kind of like the idea that templates are out there as much as they are.. Once you have seen them and you can spot them, its eaiser to tell the big guys from the small ones..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I only have problem with companies that offer web design service but is using a common template.

why judge a company by its web design? maybe they choose to spend their time and money elsewhere, like to improve their service or hardware.

Originally posted by |<@os
    why judge a company by its web design? maybe they choose to spend their time and money elsewhere, like to improve their service or hardware.
    Why judge a company by its design? For the same reason you judge a store or a business by its office and looks..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Why go out and pay hundreds to thousands of dollars when the templates are there? How can you blame these people for investing in something that is quite a lot cheaper than what they otherwise would have gone for?
    This kind of goes back to the whole, "unprofessional & not dedicated" thing. If you look in the right place, decent unique designs are sold on some websites from anywhere from $100-500. This kind of leans towards showing that they didn't spend the time and dedication to look for a design, or make one on their own. It's all the matter of looking in the right places.

As phison.com put it, companies offer $300/m dedicated servers with a $40 templatemonster template. They could atleast afford a decent medium to sale products through that is not overused and is also on hundreds of other hosting sites.
    Brandon Davis
    BD Design & Consulting of Austin - Website & Graphic Design, Hosting & More
    http://www.brandondavis.us

There are plenty of designers who will do sites for relatively cheap. A good bet is to go to your local college/university and find their art department. Post a notice for students that they will receive compensation for a professionally designed site. You'd be amazed at the talent you'll find, and it's a win-win situation because the student gets money and a portfolio piece and you get a well-designed site.

I too am quite sick of seeing templates, and while they are quick and easy, they do lack a serious image and are often an easy way out. I understand if you're just starting out, but if you're serious about your business, you should be serious about your image, and your website is one of your most important avenues to express your image.

Regards,
    Waylon

I'm sure you can tell templates when you see them (as can I) however I highly doubt most of the end users will know the difference let alone know what template monster is.

If they research around, i'm sure they can tell when they see the exact same website more than once.

IMO most customers are going to hunt for a website company, if you want to buy a car you usually look around for the best deal, which means visiting a lot of showrooms. Why would buying something as "important for their business" be any different? So they see lots and lots of the same sites, doesnt inspire confidence at the end of the day (again only imo).

Just my two cents.
    LowCostDedi Ltd - www.LowCostDedi.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12