Thread: SSL question

SSL question

What are the differences between SSL cert's issued by Verisign, Geotrust, and FreeSSL? They all claim to be 128bits, but ranging from as low as $39 to as high as $895?

If I get a Verisign SecureSite Pro ($349), will I get better security when transmitting data than getting a $39 FreeSSL certificate?

Thank you.

The security is the same you can have the same level of security with a 'self signed' cert. The main difference I would say is how trusted by browsers the certs are. Verisign is just totally overpriced. Get the $50 one from not heard of any trust issues with those.
    Hostfolks Internet est. 2001
    VPS Solutions in 5 US and EU locations

If you're getting a cert that is signed by a root CA, and not a chained certificate, then the difference should be minimal with the cert itself. However, what they are charging for is the level of trust.

Higher priced certificates normally have a lot of extra stuff, such as seals and other material that you can display on your site. The idea is that your customers will trust you more if the root CA trusts you more and can verify your identity. A lot of people buy into that mentallity and get outrageously priced certs which they don't need because their customers can't tell the difference or don't care.
    ::. : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
    ::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
    ::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
    ::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::