Question Single Xeon better than p4?

15minuteservers offers single Xeon 2.4 and Xeon 3.06 Ghz
    is it faster than a p4 2.4 and 2.8?

of course..

well... those P4 2.4 have 1 Meg Cache, plus hyperthreading as well...they might be better than Xeon 2.4.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Originally posted by inteltechs
    well... those P4 2.4 have 1 Meg Cache, plus hyperthreading as well...they might be better than Xeon 2.4.
    are the P4 2.4 available with 1 MB cache ? I think it's just 2.8+

Originally posted by lackeroom
    are the P4 2.4 available with 1 MB cache ? I think it's just 2.8+
    They are available - Intel does make 2.4Ghz Prescott models. We have 1 or 2 of them in clients machines right now, and they're working great. Not many places offer them as standard-included processors.

-Josh

well, what does anyone think SINGLE P4 2.4G with 1M cache vs DUAL Xeon 2.0G with 512K Cache? which one has better performance? Thanks.

to: Josha, I checked your plans on mainarea, does your P4 2.4G plan come with 1M cache? Thanks.
    Last edited by surfmanjoe; 06-01-2004 at 11:27 AM.

Originally posted by surfmanjoe
    well, what does anyone think SINGLE P4 2.4G with 1M cache vs DUAL Xeon 2.0G with 512K Cache? which one has better performance? Thanks.

to: Josha, I checked your plans on mainarea, does your P4 2.4G plan come with 1M cache? Thanks.
    My understanding is that dual processors add extra stability to the system, and provide about 15% more processing power.

The difference between 512 L2 cache and 1 MB L2 cache gives you and additional 15% processing power.

The chips are only a few dollars more, but the mobo's are more expensive. This is why prescott has not taken off in the dedicated server market, because most companies will not put in a $230+ mobo.
    Last edited by RayWomack; 06-01-2004 at 12:22 PM.

Originally posted by surfmanjoe

Our 2.4Ghz plans don't come with 1M cache - We had one or two servers that the datacenter put processors with 1M caches in, as they were able to get them quicker than getting more regular processors.

-Josh

Re: Single Xeon better than p4?

Originally posted by shraz
    15minuteservers offers single Xeon 2.4 and Xeon 3.06 Ghz
    is it faster than a p4 2.4 and 2.8?
    Xeon is faster. new P4's have had their cache improved, but Xeons L3 will still put them at an advantage.