Manchester (UK)

How is it possible to become known?

I have just got my self a reseller account on a friends server and i am wanting to make some money out of it. I have an ok knowledge of how the servers work and i am ok with apache as i have ran it for a few years on my home system.

How do i make myself known and get customers to choose me over the many different other providers, i have a few ideas already, just wondered if any one could help me on here.

if anyone told you that, it would be basicly helping a competitor overtake them
    I'm sure someone will help you though, for a start put your URL in your sig

edit: sorry I did not see you had already done that. searching the forum would be another good start

Montreal, Canada
    Try targetting a certain kind/type of customer. A great idea is to do local advertising, flyers and in local boards/forums.

Good Luck

Reading, England
    Go spend money on advertising, bring in some customers, if they like you they will tell other people and your name will grow... but it's not as easy as it sounds since there's thousands of other people doing the same thing.

Boise, ID
    You have already taken one of the first best steps.
    You are a member of WHT. Post around here, talk to people about other things and make sure your signature has you site linked in it.

That alone helps alot.

Slice, I recommend tha tyou first start offerring hosting to friends and family. After you have the basics down then go around to your local community and offer your services there.

If you don't like the local thing, make a few resource sites that people would want to visit because of the great content on it. Kinda like w3schools..., but something you can do in a week or so. Then just plaster your hosting all over that website.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

1) Good customer service=wom
    2) Advertising constantly (it takes upto 7 to 12 impressions for a person to remember you)
    3) Recommend to a friend/colleague page on your website=viral marketing
    4) Sponsoring local event, sending your brochures/flyers to businesses (not without permission)
    5) Buying legit mailing lists
    6) Using lead systems to get you leads, available at WHT, and

best of luck
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

New Zealand
    Corporate secrets won't be divulged that easily dude.

Pay me $50,000 and I'll tell you my secrets.

Manchester (UK)

Lots of time and quite a few bucks is the easy answer. Search the forums here for the hundreds of threads similar to this one would be the second. Don't expect it to be very easy would be the third.

Try social networking within your local market.

Speak at business clubs, go to chamber of commerce events, etc.

Thank you.
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Be very patient. Do a lot of networking. Tell everyone and anyone -- well, tell everyone that matters at least.

A lot of people expect that once they register a domain and build their web site, people will just line up at your door and want hosting. Well, that's not going to happen!

Above all, be unique. Offer something that others are not offering. This is tough to do, but you've got to have an edge over your competitors. Otherwise you're just a "me too" web host.

Justified Existence - my blog on blogging and writing for a living.