Server4you.de - Any reviews?

Hi there,

I've just heard of www.Server4You.de.

Anyone signed up for those Dedicated offers?
    Anyone got speed-test regarding those Dedicated plans?
    Can I register with them if I'm a foreign customer (in this case Swedish?)?
    If so, how do I pay them? Creditcard, wire or PayPal?
    Anyone with comments, bad or good stuff?

I thank you all for taking your time helping me out =)!

Server4you.de is basically a crap shoot. If you're lucky, the server will run for years with only the occasional short outage.
    On the other hand, if you ever need support you might have to wait days to get a simple email response from them, much less any actual service.

Of course they're not really offering "unlimited" traffic for 60 something Euro a month either. Last I read, they start shaping your traffic heavily once you exceed some arbitrary threshold (which you don't know and which they won't tell you, although I suspect below 500 GB/month you should be ok).

To sum up, I wouldn't recommend them for anything more serious than hosting stuff as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahlstedt View Post
    Hi there,

I've just heard of www.Server4You.de.

Anyone signed up for those Dedicated offers?
    Anyone got speed-test regarding those Dedicated plans?
    Can I register with them if I'm a foreign customer (in this case Swedish?)?
    If so, how do I pay them? Creditcard, wire or PayPal?
    Anyone with comments, bad or good stuff?

I thank you all for taking your time helping me out =)!
    - We have one dedicated there for internal purposes.

- U can register as a foreign customer, but u have to pay a full year in advance for dedicated rootservers.

- U can pay with creditcard.

- When signing up we were prepared for the worst but eveything goes really great. A lot better than expected. Answers on questions for support are handled in one day. Servers are unmanaged.
    AlfaHosting
    "European webhosting, resellerhosting and dedicated servers since 2003"

Quote Originally Posted by case42 View Post
    Server4you.de is basically a crap shoot. If you're lucky, the server will run for years with only the occasional short outage.
    On the other hand, if you ever need support you might have to wait days to get a simple email response from them, much less any actual service.

Of course they're not really offering "unlimited" traffic for 60 something Euro a month either. Last I read, they start shaping your traffic heavily once you exceed some arbitrary threshold (which you don't know and which they won't tell you, although I suspect below 500 GB/month you should be ok).

To sum up, I wouldn't recommend them for anything more serious than hosting stuff as a hobby.
    Are u a client ? Are did u just hear this stuff ?

It isn't really crap stuff, i have seen a lot worse. U don't have to wait for days for an answer on a email. That isn't true at all. Most mails are answered in 24 hours.

Altough i agree u can't use them for business purposes.
    AlfaHosting
    "European webhosting, resellerhosting and dedicated servers since 2003"

Can I or can I not use it for a small webhosting company?

What is the different between 'managed' and 'unmanaged', what's best?

Got any else recommendations for a me if I want to split the server in 200-300 parts and selling out webhost services?

From all the threads I read about server4you.de, it seems that they have a solid network but poor support/communication. So if you are an experienced admin, and get on a server with non faulty hardware, then you can probably run your server smoothly. Otherwise it's better to go somewhere else, especially for serious business needs.

Quote Originally Posted by qm8309 View Post
    From all the threads I read about server4you.de, it seems that they have a solid network but poor support/communication. So if you are an experienced admin, and get on a server with non faulty hardware, then you can probably run your server smoothly. Otherwise it's better to go somewhere else, especially for serious business needs.
    qm8309 has it exactly right. Unfortunately, most of the big German ISPs (1und1.de, strato.de, etc.) have the same deficiencies. I'm not saying that server4you doesn't have its niche, but for professional needs you should look at their more expensive brand, plusserver.de.

Just as an example of what can happen at server4you.de: An IP on a box I was administering kept getting randomly nullrouted. This went on for several weeks and took the IP offline for about a day every time, but they were unable to fix it. Only after the customer had his lawyer send a threatening letter they finally solved the problem.

case42 - a similar thing happened to me, but I didn't have a lawyer to sort it out. In the end, my server was inaccessible for nearly a month. I had to move all the sites on my server off it, and I lost inestimable respect and emails. They still haven't even acknowledged that the problem was theirs.

On top of that, they don't allow you to cancel your contract before the year is up, and will happily renew it without contacting you.