in FreeBSD, uname is in /usr/bin, and not /bin, so the FreeBSD check which follows that fails. because of that, no passwords are read from /etc/master.passwd and subsequently passwd.vhosts is filled with empty passwords.
the solution i did was simple, which was simply symlinking /usr/bin/uname -> /bin/uname.
if you're using this combination (fbsd + cpanel), i'm interested to know whether:
1) your mkvhostspasswd has the same code snippet as above
2) /bin/uname already exists
my experience with cpanel+freebsd has been pretty bad so far! to start off with, it's my first time using freebsd, and also my first time using cpanel
i haven't started doing documentation, but from what i remember here are some of the problems i've run into..
1) WHM dies (sometimes a few times a day). quite a show-stopper, but at least the chksrvd brings it back up after awhile.
2) quotas run out of sync. solved by running fixquotas weekly
3) memory leak (not sure what's causing this. reference: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ay/045679.html ). i think it's gonna require a reboot every month or two.
4) this proftpd bug.