Question Forumís paid subscription or donation?

Hi,
    I am running Forum and the question is
    Should I subscribe users to some sub-forums on a paid basis or better to ask Guests/Users about donation? Which way is most convenient and appropriate?

Does somebody has an experience with this? How many Guests/Users are willing to donate? Do you have such statistics (1 form 100 or 1 from 1000 est.)?

I will appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you.

I would say that placing ads would be the wisest idea. I don't think donations will be very generous nor numerous. Asking for money to access some subforums.... that depends on how important those subforums are. Also, although those sub forums might be important now, they might not be if only 20 people decide to pay to access them.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I would say that placing ads would be the wisest idea. I don't think donations will be very generous nor numerous. Asking for money to access some subforums.... that depends on how important those subforums are. Also, although those sub forums might be important now, they might not be if only 20 people decide to pay to access them.
    ldcdc,
    Do you mean ads like google adsense?

Thank you.

I agree with ldcdc because unless your forum is very large, donations and paying is hardly worth it. And yes, google adsense would be a good idea. If that is not an option, you can also sell the ad space in http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...php?forumid=27

Hope it helps

Yes, adsense wold be a good try. Word of advice: the position on the page is almost everything in terms of clickthrough rate.

Or, depending on your type of forum, you could try to sell banner impressions, sticky threads and/or subforum sponsorships.

It all depends on what your niche is. Since one of my sites allows people to disclose budgetary, financial and personal information, we opted for a paid membership site to help keep the information private and out of reach to the general public.

I do have other sites that have hidden forums, that are free, though. It really just boils down to what you're offering your visitors.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Donations don't work unless it's a small very tight community.

People just count on other people to pay...
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

Originally posted by ichris
    I agree with ldcdc because unless your forum is very large, donations and paying is hardly worth it. And yes, google adsense would be a good idea. If that is not an option, you can also sell the ad space in http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...php?forumid=27

Hope it helps
    Ichris,
    Are any other ad space besides google exist?
    I will appreciate few names.

Thank you.

Well, if you run a car forum, you can try contacting car garages, spareparts shops etc...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

IMHO, bad bad idea to charge people to use a forum. It will just drive people away. I would never pay to use a subforum either, just use the parent forum relevant to the topic.

My 0,02$