what are the costs for screwing up a server?

Hi,

Generally speaking, what do ISP's charge for 'fixing' problems on a server?

Say I:

1) mess up the windows installation, how much to re-install?
    2) require a manual reebot as the server froze?
    3) screw up the stats package installation, need to reinstall?
    4.) other 'hidden' costs...?
    ~Salman
    c# community

1, 2, 3, and 4 absolutely depend on the server provider/reseller and your particular plan/agreement with that provider. Could be anywhere from free to 200$/hour with a minimum of one hour.

If you have some particular provider in mind, mail them this questions before subscribing. Can only speak for ServInt where we're hosted at now, 1, 2 and 3 are free (no Windows though). And no 4
    Last edited by piramida; 05-31-2004 at 07:33 AM.

how is servermatrix and ev1? (i am reading allot about them here)
    ~Salman
    c# community

ServerMatrix usually charges $75 for an OS reinstall, free manual reboots, $75 hour to fix any customer caused error, haven't run into any hidden costs at all in the 8 months I've had servers there.

The prices are correct for SM, but if it is a quick fix or they can tell you how to fix it without charging you I've noticed they do.

Until you actually say "Just fix it for me" they try to avoid charging you admin costs.

Agreed. Had some DNS issues that we resolved(wasnt my issue, but had a tech working on my box for 30 minutes) over the phone. Didnt get charged anything even though I used a bit of the tech time while we looked into a problem.

Most places are going to give you free reboots and charge pretty substantial rates for anything else. There are exceptions to every rule, so be sure to ask ahead.