windows box running PHP and mysql

Hi,

Suppose one owns a dedicated windows server.

Does a server become 'less' stable when it runs PHP and mysql along side asp.net/asp and mssql server?
    ~Salman
    c# community

no. Just as long as you stick with running php and mySQL within IIS and dont run Apache on Windows you shouldnt notice any issues. Atleast I dont run in to any issues of 'server stability' running both of those within IIS.
    Apache is awesome, it just doesnt work like a charm on Windows.

All the windows servers that I have PHP and MySQL on work awesome. It does not make it less stable, but you might have heavy 'load' depending on whats using MySQL and how often

Another thing that applies to MySQL no matter what OS it is on is good optimization of the configuration file.

If you don't take the time to do that you can run into a lot of problems.

If you do take the time and are running MySQL 4+ you will be amazed and how much and how fast MySQL can run.

I want to install vBulletin on my server, but I know nothing about mysql (except how to use it as a developer) and PHP.

Do you suggest I just pay for shared hosting? The thing is I don't want to have to pay more than $10/month for a reliable provider that won't mind the bandwidth, that is why I was thinking of hosting it on a windows box.
    ~Salman
    c# community

If you have a server you can install PHP and MySQL by downloading the installation applications at there respective sites.

You could probably find someone who could edit the configuration file for $10 or $20.

If you don't have a server, there are many shared hosting companies that have MySQL and PHP installed. Especially with Plesk as Plesk installs both by default as it uses them itself.

Could someone edit the file w/o accessing my server?
    ~Salman
    c# community

Yes, if you give them all the proper information.