Support Desk-A Necessity?

I was just thinking today.

Is there really a need for a support desk? I mean, nearly every host nowdays has a forum. Why not just make a section for members only, where people post a topic where they are stuck, and only admin can reply?

This would simplify the process,and being a host you have your clients details as it is.

I was just wondering what you think? Will support desks slowly go down the 'potty'.

What about privacy, security, et al?

Support desk's will never be replaced by a forum, because not everyone wants their problems, and private information made public.

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 05-30-2004 at 11:55 PM.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

Ture. What imsaying is protect the forum from guests, and allow userts to post their problem.

Originally posted by Khazun
    Ture. What imsaying is protect the forum from guests, and allow userts to post their problem.
    They will still never be replaced.

Any type of private customer information such as phone number, username/password's and such should never be posted public. If other customers can view that forum, they could easily see others private information.

Not to mention... Most helpdesks are actually handled by emails, this is not the case with forums.

With some forums I've seen, you can disable post viewing and replying to other then ones you've created yourself. I suppose that would work - but it's kind of a work around to just getting a help desk or working through email.
    "Television has brought back murder into the home -- where it belongs."
    ♣ Alfred Hitchcock ♣

This method could be an addition to support, but due to the nature of a forum, can't replace a support desk.

One on one support is something I'm sure will always be in demand, people don't want other users making things more complex for them a lot of the time. On the upside, it could very well help take the load off your support team. Forum posts are not private, from guests maybe, but have you ever seen a private forum conversation? It defies the point of a forum.

Security: like enis said, usernames, passwords, critical site information, being passed through a forum? Not a good idea.

Also, forums aren't built to have every post covered, you can miss some, and even if you subscribe to a topic, what I mess that would be from other users posting on the same thread. A big waste of time I think.

You're asking if support desks will go diminish over time, and I think they won't. A support desk being a system of one on one problem solving. Maybe what we call it will change, but this method is never going to be beat out by forums. There is a critical difference in the way they address issues.