Originally posted by AparixAndrew I'm looking for comments about what what aspects of a host make them better than the rest? Any comments are welcome.
Happy, satisfied customers.
Doesn't matter what you offer - if your customers are happy with your service you could reasonably be called a 'good' host.
If you offer no support, $400/mth plans, 15.5% uptime, abusive staff, 0.5 domains hosted per account (so you have to buy 2), redirected spam to customer accounts, daily deletion of all databases and a smack in the chops for complaining you're still a good host if your customers are happy and satisfied.
Most unlikely given that scenario of course, but there you have it.
Treating your customers like family =) Helping them learn, not just "Support them". Keeping the servers up, offering features and tools are a given, any host not doing that, bah, they aren't worth mentioning. Get references from credible current customers, actually contact them and get the word from their mouth.
Here is what makes a good host:
)Down Time is required for hosts, why updates and virus scans may require being off the web, now the key is choosing when to do those updates , best times are 3AM-4AM times where no one is likely to browse.
) Email Support is good, though I like Help Desks, Wait time should never be more than 30minutes during business hours. I personally like Phone Support, it shows that the company cares..
Features + Price
) The More features the better, though you will only end up using 30% of the features they give you, who knows you may use the other 70% sooner or later.. Price: What ever you want to spend, it's your budget,,, Write on a piece of paper what you want to spend| ex I WANT TO SPEND $200 EYear or $1.00 monthly, than you must find and compare hosts....
) Well do a search on Google and use my formula
(Hostname + scam / or bad) lets say host is : Hosting 1
Hosting 1 Scam |SEARCH|
and if there is a scam it will pop up, from forums, hopefully WHT!!
PAY WITH? REFUNDS... IF HOST WON'T GIVE ME MONEY BACK..
) I would say Credit Cards are the BEST!!! Not Debit, But Credit Cards, Why? Well lets say the host gives you a bad attitude, or they simply don't deliver, Call Up VISA/ MASTER CARD/ or which ever, and tell them I want to do a Charge Back for Fraud...
---- What if I paid with PayPal?
PayPal Normally can't do anything about it, but since we live in the best country (USA) , Heck even Canadians Can use this feature, Basicly Many Countries can use this,, This is the IFCC, run by the FBI, I remember when I got scammed, reported it.. Got my money back 2weeks later...
.......... REMEMBER NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR SSN, OR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANY 1...