XML/JavaScript Question

I am very confused about the following instructions. I have no idea what they are telling me to do. Please advise:

Markup the java code below using XML. Represent the if statement with element if--which contains one or more condition elements and one or more statement elements. Element condition contains the condition (e.g., m == month && d == day) and element statement contains the statements (e.g., resultDay = "DATE: D " + d + " M " +m). Element else represents an else statement in Java and contains one or more statement elements. (Note: Place the Java code inside a CDATA section)

PHP Code:
    if ( ( == month && == day ) ||
       ( 
    month == -&& == day) ||
       ( 
    == month && day == -1) ||
       ( 
    month > -&& day <= -1) ) {

resultDay "DATE: D " " M " m// a statement

processChildNodes(dateElement.getChildNodes()); // a statement
    }
    else      
    // else statement

return; // a statement 

well... it looks like you are working with trees.

If month is equal to m and day is euqal to d or..... or.... or.....
    resultday will be the above statement , and then it will call a function to get the childnodes..

else it just returns resultday empty..

as I think i see (maybe) there is a syntax mistake :
    if ( .......

without the closing )

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Yeah, I'm not worried about what the Java code does though. I'm trying to figure out what this part is instructing me to do:

"Markup the java code below using XML. Represent the if statement with element if--which contains one or more condition elements and one or more statement elements. Element condition contains the condition (e.g., m == month && d == day) and element statement contains the statements (e.g., resultDay = "DATE: D " + d + " M " +m). Element else represents an else statement in Java and contains one or more statement elements. (Note: Place the Java code inside a CDATA section)"

Anyone have any idea what this is telling me to do. I need to do it by tomorrow and I have no clue what it's asking.

Hello,

I assume they are asking you to create an XML for the java code with the elements as they have mentioned. It should look something like the following.

-----------------------------------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

<if>
    <condition>m == month && d == day</condition>
    <condition>month == -1 && d == day</condition>
    <condition>m == month && day == -1</condition>
    <condition>month > -1 && day <= -1</condition>
    <statement>resultDay = "DATE" + d + "M" + m</statement>
    <statement>processChildNodes(dateElement.getChildNodes())</statement>
    </if>

<else>
    <statement>return</statement>
    </else>
    -----------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sharon Rose

Bear in mind that XML does not allow more than one document root element so strictly Sharon's XML code above isn't valid - but it fits most of the problem well, except that no data is enclosed in <![CDATA[ tags ]]>.

Logically this problem seems weird (to me at least) - why would the else be floating along separate from the conditions/non-else statements?

- Salathe
    Sneak in to any website! <--- it's for sale!

Perhaps you need to add <conditional> ... </conditional> in order for it to be valid xml document. Based on given problem, this is the way we can translate a conditional statement into xml form.

I missed the root element there, as they have not specified it. Ya, it becomes a valid XML only when the 'if' and the 'else' elements are enlcosed within a single root element. As godong said, you could use <conditional> </conditional> as the root element.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Rose