Low Budget Server

Hello to all WHTers,

I am currently having 4 servers in China PRC but looking forward to open a new server in united states or somewhere outside china since its english board.

Currently, the operation is under:
    1 server = 2 bbs (including the english & chinese board)
    3 server = FTP only

I am willing to paid the server about 40-50 bucks per month, since the board is small (english board) as the main board is under chinese so i wouldnt mind too much about the hardware and no panel require. I will also run a basic backup nameserver as well beside the small english board.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

It is difficult to get a full dedicated server for that price nowadays but you could probably look for a VPS for that price deal or a virtual web hosting account if it is going to be smallish.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

How much bandwidth are you useing?

and how much bandwidth do you plan on buying?

Originally posted by SethEffectz
    How much bandwidth are you useing?

and how much bandwidth do you plan on buying?
    since it is just small english board and nameserver, i guess 500GB is more than enough. I am not sure for this as all my chinese server is unlimited bandwidth

Thank you

500gb is actually a lot and I wouldn't exactly classify it as a small site. In which case, $40 to $50 might be too little for a reasonable priced hosting.

You might however want to look at
    http://www.fdcservers.net/fdcvps.html
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    500gb is actually a lot and I wouldn't exactly classify it as a small site. In which case, $40 to $50 might be too little for a reasonable priced hosting.

You might however want to look at
    http://www.fdcservers.net/fdcvps.html
    I have my friends who is currently using FDC and i administrate server for him. The server is thousand worst uptime than the chinese server. Since it is small site, i guess 200GB should be ok as i do not know how to calculate what is my average.

You could look at Servermatrix, if you lock in the higher $299 setup fees, you could be looking at a full fledge server for $49. At least their Celeron 1.7

"40-50 bucks. I think your budget is way too high, and you are wasting the company resources. I would shoot for the 10-15 dollar range."

I put that reply in quotations because that is what is coming form other posters, so I'll save them the trouble of running up their posting tally.

You have read these forums. That is an unreasonable request. If you haven't read these forums, please do. If you really want that server, you will have nothing but problems.

The entry level price in the US for something reliable is 70 - 100 depending on setup.

You could look at Servermatrix, if you lock in the higher $299 setup fees, you could be looking at a full fledge server for $49. At least their Celeron 1.7
    Thank you, i will have a look on it and will discuss about the donations.

For that price, your basically stuck with fdc or managed.com, unless of course, you want to look at a vps.
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    For that price, your basically stuck with fdc or managed.com, unless of course, you want to look at a vps.
    I've looked at it but seems managed.com is sold out for my budget range. The reason why my budget is limited is because we do not want to spend much on the english board since we just want to make our bbs server less load as it already carrying chinese board with it plus we are an organisation. We already prepaid 4 chinese servers for 1 year duration with our donations so i hope something cheaper for this.

Thanks for your help.

Just for my own marketing department.........

Why would you want to host somethig on a $40 server knowing you would have but problems? Do you really think that $40 competes with $140, or $240, or $340?

In the US, $40 can buy you a 56K modem?

Please help me understand?

Not to add fire to anything but not everyone in the world have the same purchasing power and $40 might not be a big issue for someone in the US but may represents several months income for others in other parts of the world.

I am sure what he is trying to do is to find the best solution without his budget for his needs. Going above his budget might not be a good solution as he may not have the finances for it. In situation such as these, one would probably just to make compromises.

Not to add fire to anything but not everyone in the world have the same purchasing power and $40 might not be a big issue for someone in the US but may represents several months income for others in other parts of the world.

I am sure what he is trying to do is to find the best solution without his budget for his needs. Going above his budget might not be a good solution as he may not have the finances for it. In situation such as these, one would probably just to make compromises.
    A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz server will cost USD71 per month in China PRC while Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz, 1GB Ram and 36GB SCSI + 120GB IDE will only cost USD260.00 per month. It is much cheaper compared with USA but since i need to host my english board in other server or want to make the current bbs load lower so i have to find a cheaper host as we already handled 4 servers already.

Try server4sale. I remember seeing servers for $55. Check out server4sale.com.

If it's just a small forum I would go with a reliable shared host.
    Better a reliable shared host than a ultra cheap dedicated

maybe you could say how many members and posts you have? and what kind of bbs are you running. This would allow people to make an estimate as to how big your board really is and they will give you more accurate answers.

running on Discuz! (Chinese Board).

I feel this board is much better and more features than many english board. My Chinese board hold about approx 200-570 users online at one time while my english board probably holds less than 50 users online at one time.

All depends the quantity of users online. If it's not very big forum - go for premium shared web hosting solution

Discuz! board is mainly quite okay but do not overload with mods..that will cause some problems...

What I see from Discuz and experienced in Discuz! board...some western hosting do not support it since of the softwares they installed..

I found some of my clients having issue on a PHP 4.3.4, and some on a Turck mmCache where it will lock out Discuz! administrators page. (Discuz v2.0)

But I am very sure that Discuz! forum will ABLE to run on a Celeron type server with 512MB Ram with a maximum of 800 online..(regardless to the load ...hehe 10.00)

So for you, where you said 50 online user on your english board..say you give some spare capacity for the future...200 online at a time...so you dont HAVE to look for Dual Xeon...

Anyway..why am I saying this? okay..for you.. I suggest Managed.com

Why?
    1) Near the west coast, connect to China lot faster than the east coast
    2) Low budget fit your needs
    3) Have so many choices to choose (if they aren't out of orders)

=)
    Hope it helps....(where did I help?)

Give www.server4you.com a go, I have heard quite a few good reviews about them recently. We haven't personally used them, but we are thinking of using a backup DNS server with them.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

Keep an eye on www.hostrino.com
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

thanks for your help everyone.

I am actually using v3.1.2 which everything runs fine. The reason why i choose USA server because most of the fans is coming mostly from worldwide as they do not how to look at the chinese so i wouldnt care too much about the connectivity to china or HK beside making the current server for dedicated chinese board only.

Currently the server is running fine

Please kindly lock this thread (thanks moderator) as i have already collected all information and prepare for discussion for new server

Thanks again everyone.