shell script encrypt

Hi,

I am looking for a way to either encrypt / obfuscate a string using a bash shell script.

The catch is...

It cant be a one-way hash. Md5, etc wont work because it needs to be reversible, preferably with a key.

I found some cheesey ROT13 routine.. I would like to make it a little more interesting than that.

This is just for some little project - it doesnt have to be overly secure.

Any ideas?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

shell script compiler

converts ur script into c source then compile it, i use it all the time amazing
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I think you misunderstood me.

I dont want to encrypt the entire script.

I want to operate on a string, using a bash shell script.

POssible?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."

ah use the command enigma (on freebsd) not sure if its there by default on linux

ested by:
    Code:
    #!/usr/local/bin/bash
    read -p "enter a command " ecmd
    read -p "enter key " ekey
    echo $ecmd |enigma $ekey > /tmp/.ecmd
    read -p " what is the key? " ekeys
    enigma $ekeys < /tmp/.ecmd
    if you more /tmp/.ecmd its an encrypted file
    # file /tmp/.ecmd
    /tmp/.ecmd: data
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

hmm cant seem to get shc to work; compile a script with it and execute the generated binary and it just sits there; have to kill it.
    Ryan MacDonald
    Lead Administrator | TotalChoice Hosting
    Choice Does Matter! | Serving over 26,000 clients

seriously, if you want to "compile" a shell script, that's probably because you want to distribute that...
    and if you need to do that, i would HIGH suggest that you write it in C from the start... no "language X to language Y" conversor is good even more those to convert from a language like shell that you don't even need to declare variables and types to one that you need

Originally posted by Lem0nHead
    I would HIGH suggest that you write it in C from the start...
    Agreed, you can even use the system() call in C to get your shell script compiled. It's cheap I know, but it works. I actually use C to manage and maintain 90% of my scripts. The only ones I don't are the more complicated ones which will take a little more tweaking to move to C
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Im just toying with shc; i know the pro's and con's of application development be it a small script or a bloated application; in C.

Just curious if anyone has gotten shc to work properly.
    Ryan MacDonald

Works fine for me.

RH9 / FC1.

I dont use any special flags.

Hell, it even works for me under Cygwin> I can compile SHC from source, use it, and the binaries work.

Hmm ya it only not working on my hardened grsec/gradm systems; dont see pax terminations or grsec logging events -- o well.
    Ryan MacDonald

Originally posted by wolfstream
    Agreed, you can even use the system() call in C to get your shell script compiled. It's cheap I know, but it works. I actually use C to manage and maintain 90% of my scripts. The only ones I don't are the more complicated ones which will take a little more tweaking to move to C
    with system() its possible to read the commands written there using 'strings' i have tried that earlier and found that my best option was shc since i'm not a C guy and i have most of my shell scripts written long time ago.