PHP File uploader, More than 2 megs?

I heard that you can only upload a maxium file size of 2 megs with a PHP based upload script. I need an upload script for my site that can support 10 megs.

I also heard that you can override this by adding ini_set() in the script, and change the upload_max_filesize and post_max_size.

Well, I have no work with PHP, and I was wondering what do I EXACTLY need to put to allow files of 10 megs.

Thanks anyone who knows

I have never heard this, but if you are using ini_set() then you are overriding data in the .ini file and I doubt that this is a value in it, although I am not totally sure.

Why not just upload it via FTP?

It's a server-wide php setting. You will need to discuss this with your host.
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

If it is a php setting then you can override it with ini_set(), but I am not sure how. I had a similar problem with a php setting that I needed to change and my host told me that I didn't have the power to change the file, but use the ini_set() to temporarly override the .ini file.

Use phpinfo() to try and find the setting that you have to change.

I have read about people using exec to execute perl uploading scripts or using cgi. Perl's default upload is 35 megs, which a lot of hosting companies stick to defaults with these settings.

Definitely check with your host to see the uploading limit, they should let you know what the limit is.

you can see it using <?php phpinfo(); ?> The default is 2 megs and I think most hosts keep it at that, unfortunately. There are some apps, like phpMyAdmin that would be nice to be able to upload 20-30 mb chunks or bigger of sql data and not have to upload then run a shell to install.

Well, I don't think you can override it via the script because of security reasons. If you use the FTP functions in php, you still have the 2mb restriction, so that won't help.

I had created a site a while back where people had to upload files that were over 2MB, you will have to contact your host and see if they will change this for you like I had to do, it is defined in the php.ini file of how large filesizes may be for uploading.

That is why I suggested looking into perl. THe syntax is similar to php and the default is set at 35mb. You might be able to run a perl script from php using exec() and bypass the file restriction or just run a cgi uploader.

Originally posted by charmedlover
    If it is a php setting then you can override it with ini_set(), but I am not sure how. I had a similar problem with a php setting that I needed to change and my host told me that I didn't have the power to change the file, but use the ini_set() to temporarly override the .ini file.

Use phpinfo() to try and find the setting that you have to change.
    Not all PHP settings can be over-ridden by the user. However the PHP manual does tell you which can and which can't

Then I would look into if you are able to override that setting, though I believe you cannot as it should be a more secure setting that others.

Add this into your htaccess file:

php_value upload_max_filesize 10M

Originally posted by Mekhu
    Add this into your htaccess file:

php_value upload_max_filesize 10M
    should there be a "*" before that?

I.E.

PHP Code:
    php_value upload_max_filesize 10M 
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

No need for a * there

Originally posted by Rich2k
    No need for a * there
    must be thinking of something else, oops. I'm a little tired to day.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Originally posted by websterworld
    must be thinking of something else, oops. I'm a little tired to day.
    lol, well, that should work, if the host allows you to, it's some server config. Default, the php.ini has upload_max_filesize = 2M
    Your host can easily edit this.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest