FortuneCity.Com SEO

I would like to know who did the seo for www.FortuneCity.com. The have the #1 spot on google for the search terms: hosting, web hosting and web host.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

Toss money at google.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Then toss some more money at google, and they'll do whatever you want.

For the record, I used to work for FortuneCity.Com and let me tell you, I wouldnt waste my time with then ever again, no matter what.

Yea, that probably works too, but with nearly 2 million clients behind their fortune I doubt I'll be beating their offer, lol.

It's their PageRank of 8, and most of their inbound links including those words. Nothing special, just sheer quantity of quality inbound links gave them the ranks. If you could get that many thousands of people to link to you with the words "web hosting" you would be #1.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

They used to be a free host:

http://web.archive.org/web/200304010...om/index.shtml

They still host those websites and they add links to their own website at the bottom and at the top of the pages -> top ranking in the search engines.
    Last edited by XTStrike; 05-31-2004 at 10:11 AM.

I'd avoid FortuneCity.COM like the plague. I worked there for a few years and when things go wrong, they will lie to you about it. Unfortunate, but true.

pacranch

Originally posted by pacranch
    I'd avoid FortuneCity.COM like the plague. I worked there for a few years and when things go wrong, they will lie to you about it. Unfortunate, but true.

pacranch
    so if you use to work for them how do we know you not lying?
    Cheap Web Hosting: www.supersweethosting.com
    Website Design - Scripting: www.adrenalinepcs.com

Originally posted by SSH-Raj
    so if you use to work for them how do we know you not lying?
    Pacranch is one of my hosting clients, he has a company on one of my shared servers, and trust me, this man does not lie.

We met many years ago at FortuneCity.Com when we both worked there. We know what FortuneCity is like, from inside the doors, and trust me, what he says is true.

Originally posted by G2-Hosting
    Pacranch is one of my hosting clients, he has a company on one of my shared servers, and trust me, this man does not lie.

We met many years ago at FortuneCity.Com when we both worked there. We know what FortuneCity is like, from inside the doors, and trust me, what he says is true.
    I think that you are lieing along side with him.
    J/K, lol.

Originally posted by HotLinkHost
    I think that you are lieing along side with him.
    J/K, lol.

ROFL

About the lying part, you sort of don't know whether I'm telling the truth or not, but if you check around with any of their past employees you'll instantly discover they ALL will mention lying was a management skill at FC.

About the two-million accounts, try maybe 40,000 real accounts and nearly two-million abandoned sites.

pacranch

<Removed>
    Please remove this link, it appears to have a Windows Media Player 9 exploit.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 06-01-2004 at 01:38 AM.

40,000 or 2,000,000 - they are still #1 under "hosting", "web hosting" and "web host" search terms on Google. I'm sure that they get good number of paid sign ups per day...

AdWatcher.NET - Ad Monitoring & Tracking (90-day Money Back Guarantee)

David Ogilvy said, 'I know half of my advertising works. I just don't know which half'. Would you like to know if YOUR prospects are reacting to your ads? Find out now!

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Please remove this link, it appears to have a Windows Media Player 9 exploit.
    Hmmmm, good thing that was the one link I didnt click on, or I'd be

pointing fingers will not get any of us aheade of them... lets team up and simple go with it............... the next question is.... what is it iam talking about....... well, tell me if i might be lying, but it is just something that is amazing. it must have been the one greatest concept developed during its existance..... THUS,

its a he said she said.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Originally posted by bizness
    pointing fingers will not get any of us aheade of them... lets team up and simple go with it............... the next question is.... what is it iam talking about....... well, tell me if i might be lying, but it is just something that is amazing. it must have been the one greatest concept developed during its existance..... THUS,

its a he said she said.

G2-Hosting do you have any proof you worked at fortune city at all? I can claim I worked at G2 and they 'sucked' provide some hard evidence please!

Originally posted by AlexNY
    G2-Hosting do you have any proof you worked at fortune city at all? I can claim I worked at G2 and they 'sucked' provide some hard evidence please!
    What kind edvidence would you like?

- Would you like me to track down a bunch of people I used to work with, and have them all agree that we all worked for FortuneCity.Com?

- Would you like me to explain to you how I ran and together of the entire Business Community along with one other person?

- Would you like to me to show you Office Websites I used to run where to people from the business community could come to speak with me directly?

- If you'd like, I could dig up the certificates I have, that Kythera, the person I reported to, mailed to me for all the hard work I did.

I'm not 100% certain I could provide all of those, but I am pretty certain I could provide atleast one of them.

Wow, I just realized my writing in the above post is horrible. What was I thinking? I write much better then that. Sorry for my few spelling mistakes.

Wow, I just realized my writing in the above post is horrible. What was I thinking? I write much better then that. Sorry for my few spelling mistakes.
    lol tis national bad spelling day

Hi there,
    I think we have gotten off topic here, the question was about SEO, so please everybody lets get back on track.
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

I would have to agree with what has already been said, that their backwards links play a major part in their google ranking:

16,300 linking to http://www.fortunecity.com
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,

Originally posted by Bright-Byte
    I would have to agree with what has already been said, that their backwards links play a major part in their google ranking:

16,300 linking to http://www.fortunecity.com
    Does your link there count as 1 more?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

lol I suppose so and the link in the quote would be too
    Last edited by DBH Web; 05-31-2004 at 06:48 AM.

Not only backlinks, but also their website kernel. Have you ever seen such a great quantity of <H1> on one page
    But IMO our website would be able tol replace their from the first place for "web hosting" inquiry.

Originally posted by HQHost
    . . . But IMO our website would be able tol replace their from the first place for "web hosting" inquiry.
    If you can get (non paid) No.1 position for "web hosting", in Google, I'll eat my hat!

Ok, I've made a bookmark of this post - so it will be a show!!!

This I am going to have see.

As someone posted earlier it's number of links to the site with the text "web hosting". As all of their freely hosted pages have the link to their site with the term web hosting in it. This is what gives them their #1 ranking for web hosting on google. Google bases search results on pr and the text in links (mainly).

Originally posted by HotLinkHost
    As someone posted earlier it's number of links to the site with the text "web hosting". As all of their freely hosted pages have the link to their site with the term web hosting in it. This is what gives them their #1 ranking for web hosting on google. Google bases search results on pr and the text in links (mainly).
    There will be a huge number of links on old sites to FC with the anchor text 'web hosting', as they used offer free hosting on a large scale so would have been linked to a lot. Also as you say the links of their free sites on all pages... but in theory, this should show up as spamming, particularly the huge number of links from the same I.P addresses.

What i suspect happened is that somehow fortune city have managed to get google to remove the filter from their domain thus suffering no spamming penalty and the web of links they created counting towards PR and results rankings.

There is no Google filter AFAIK and I doubt anyone could convince them not to use it if they had one.

FC's rank is determined by the big PageRank (a result of thousands of links to their website) and the clever "web hosting" text in the links. Take that away from them and their rank is doomed.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 05-31-2004 at 10:14 AM.

Then toss some more money at google, and they'll do whatever you want.

For the record, I used to work for FortuneCity.Com and let me tell you, I wouldnt waste my time with then ever again, no matter what.
    Were you there before/during/ or after they hosted at Springboard Managed Hosting (Now Hosting Solutions)?
    Just curious since I worked at Springboard....
    http://www.netwharf.com
    Your Safe Harbor in Cyberspace (tm)
    http://www.resellglobal.com
    Linux Reseller Hosting with Fantastico!

I was there from fourth quarter 1998 through December 26, 2001 (yes, Merry Xmas, you're fired, f--- you!). G2H came on board during first quarter 1999 (same f--- you! date). I don't remember ever being told the main servers were in Raleigh/Durham, though the exact location was usually hidden from most of us (paranoid owners). We were in Charlotte multiple times, so that might be the period you're remembering.

pacranch

Originally posted by HQHost
    Ok, I've made a bookmark of this post - so it will be a show!!!
    Ok, so that's for "hq-host.com" having a No1. non paid position on Google for "web hosting" ?

http://www.fortunecity.com/free.shtml

they still are free, I saw a comment a bit up saying they used to be..but seems they still are.

Hosting 1,998,451 sites since 1997!

thats a lot of sites O_o

figure its all on 3 or 4 servers? keke

Originally posted by Dan Grossman
    It's their PageRank of 8, and most of their inbound links including those words. Nothing special, just sheer quantity of quality inbound links gave them the ranks. If you could get that many thousands of people to link to you with the words "web hosting" you would be #1.
    Yep, exactly. When I owned volize, we had #1 in several categories of design/skins that came mostly from having over 40,000 links and a PR7. The nice thing was whenever somebody downloaded and used one of the free phpBB skins, there was a link on the bottom of each page to our site. A link they could not remove.

look like most of you are a web hosting provider...

With a PR like that, the actual optimisation isnt difficult. I would chop off my left arm for an 8. The nice thing is that although its very heavily optimised and well done, its not blatent in your face optimisation which you can spot the second you enter on other sites.
    New Shared & VPS Offerings Coming Soon!

Originally posted by fromkhun
    look like most of you are a web hosting provider...
    Not surprising, consider this is WebHostingtalk.com!